COOLANT LEAK

1993 Honda Accord

bohn

May, 1, 2006 AT 10:13 PM

My engine has a coolant leak coming from the backside of the lower timing belt cover-just to the inside of the cover on the engine. There appears to be a small circle hole that the coolant is coming from. What is this hole and why is coolant leaking from it? What should I do?

Bruce Hunt

May, 1, 2006 AT 10:22 PM

I would like to know more about the engine, but I would wager that it is a 2.2L 4 cylinder. If that is the case I would say that the water pump is going out. That is located under the timing covers. When you replace it take the time to do the timing belt too. I even take the opportunity to replace the oil pump as well. That is optional.

bohn

May, 1, 2006 AT 10:53 PM

I had the timing belt replaced within the last 10,000 miles and supposedly the water pump also. Is there any way to diagnose other than having the engine all opened up. Will this require a mechanic to do the job all over again at the same cost?

Bruce Hunt

May, 3, 2006 AT 2:48 AM

If the work was done that recently, there should be a warranty on the parts. The only other possible cause of a coolant leak in that area is because of head gasket leak.

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Upper and Lower Radiator Hose Replacement
Radiator Hoses and Thermostat Replacement
Radiator Hose Replacement - Upper - Chevrolet