Won't start

CJHOONEY
  • 4 POSTS
  • 2006 HONDA ACCORD

Electrical problem 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 57000 miles

Yesterday on the way home from work I noticed the radio going off and on randomly. When I tried to start the car this morning it was dead. Last week I took it to the garage to have the headlight replaced. It's behind the battery and so that had to be removed. Could they have disturbed some wiring or is it a fuse possibly? The engine didn't even click. Then when my hubby tried later it click a few times but no start.

Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 8:25 AM

RACEFAN966

Ok first does this have an alarm system on it factory or otherwise? Have try to disconnect the battery and reconnect it to see if resets itself? Let me know what you can and also let me know how mechanical you are what you are comfortable doing ok.

Here is a guide that can help as well

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Thanks.

+2
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 9:24 AM
CJHOONEY
  • 4 POSTS

It doesn't have an alarm system and not very comfortable with a headlight replacement and removing the battery that's why I took it to the Genesis shop. It does have a panic button. I'm female and a race fan too! My husband makes race tires here in Akron. Goodyear associate. He hasn't a clue really.

-1
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 9:54 AM
RACEFAN966

Ok close to the battery there are two fuses that power the car and starter. I would like you to check them if you can. Now these fuses will not look like a regular fuse they are pal fuses one is 100 amp and the other is a 50 amp. These fused are under the hood on the on the left side just forward of the strut tower. Also check the connection at the battery as there is a white wire that goes to the start solenoid that is what powers the starter too. Here is a pic of the pal fuses they come in a couple of different styles but this should give you an idea of what to look for. So as a race fan have you ever been to a race school and driven a race car? You should I got 75 laps of fun doing that once it was great. Anyway here is the pic and I found a pic with the different types too.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_si2517sml_1.jpg

+6
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 10:13 AM
CJHOONEY
  • 4 POSTS

My husband is sleeping right now .. 3rd shift :( and he will check these out.. he wants to do the Richard Petty thing this year at Indy.. Went to Michigan twice through Goodyear with Hot garage passes and it was terrific.. Met Kevin Harvick and got pics with the King himself.. the group I was with hung out at the Jr pit to talk to him..

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/363871_46712864410_0_SM_1.jpg

Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 11:29 AM
CJHOONEY
  • 4 POSTS

What do the bad fuses look like are they discolored or are they melted. The big guy is awake and checking it out. Well we looked and the fuse box is right behind the battery. Doesn't look like anything is wrong there. The connectors are all tight. Calling the honda Garage for help and a jump.

Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 1:18 PM
RACEFAN966

Ok the fuses have a window on them and if they are bad the metel part in the window will have break in it. Also the gray wire at the starter it is hooked to the small terminal check to see if that has power in the start possition. I am thinking that if the car is equiped with any security that has a starter kill that it may have activated. First I would like you to remove the number 7 fuse and then replace it and see if that fixes it. I also need you to check fuse number 19 to see if it blown it is a 15 amp fuse and this is the imobilizer fuse. Is the imobilizer light on? It is on the instrument cluster. Your car should have a anti theft system that will imobilize the car if the voltage changes ie battery disconnect or if the wrong key is used then it locks down the car so it can't start. Let me know what you find. Thanks

+3
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009 AT 10:11 AM
PRASOUM
  • 3 POSTS
  • 2006 HONDA ACCORD

2006 Honda Accord 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 40000 miles

I always do the service on time and my car was running fine till today. In the morning when I turned the keys to start the engine, it just won't start. I am hearing some cranking noise when I turned the keys and all the lights flashes as I do that but the engine won't start. I don't know if this is weak battery or something else. What should I do. Thanks

Monday, December 18th, 2017 AT 2:34 PM (Merged)
KHLOW2008

Hi prasoum,

Looks like you have a weak battery or the terminals are loose/contaminated.

Check the battery terminals for contaminations, oxidations and twist them to see if they are secure. If you have a voltmeter, test the battery voltage. If it is less than 12 volts, the battery is weak.

A jump start should confirm if the battery is weak.

PRASOUM
  • 3 POSTS

Thanks,
Based on information on your website, I checked the reading using a voltmeter and it is 10.2 so battery is week. Also the battery is now five yr old and I am thinking of changing the battery instead of reviving it ( or charging it using alternator/charger) Is this the right decision or should I hold on to the battery?

KHLOW2008

Five years for a battery is equivalent to 60 human years. It is not going to last much longer and I would recommend replacing it. Before you do that, get a jump start and test the charging rate to ensure the alternator is still good.

At 40k, I would not expect any problem from the alternator though.

PRASOUM
  • 3 POSTS

Thanks again. Well I have removed the battery already and will run the test for alternator after putting in new battery. As suggested on your website, with the engine start ( at 2k RPM) and with blower on, the alternator should maintain around 14V. Should I check for the current too. Yes with the old battery jump start did work but I turned it off as I didn't want to put the load on alternator. Don't know if that is true though. Thanks for your help. It is first time that I am doing something under the hood. I got inspiration from your web site.I think I would do break pads as next DIY job. Thanks.

JULIASHELTON
  • 1 POST
  • 2006 HONDA ACCORD

2006 Honda Accord 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 83000 miles

Up to today my car has not made a noise or felt funny when I drive. I drove my car down the hill from Victorville, CA to Hemet, CA and on my way home it would not start. I got a jump and now my check engine light is on and it won't start, again. My radio will not come on now, either. Please help me.

STEVEW84
  • 680 POSTS

Will the engine crank over or will it not do anything(like the battery is disconnected)?

KHLOW2008

You're welcome.

It definitely would load the alternator if the battery is weak but it would not do any harm if the battery is able to hold charge. At 10.2 volts, most likely one of the cells have gone bad.

Have a nice day.

SBERESTECKY
  • 1 POST
  • 2006 HONDA ACCORD

2006 Honda Accord 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 104000 miles

My 2006 Accord would not start today. The battery is 4.5 years old. My lights, radio and climate control all still light up and work but not a sound is made when I turn the key, no clicks or anything.

Tried jumping it and again no luck.

Honda dealership said that they have never seen a starter issue on that vehicle but the batteries often do just die and they said that if the battery is dead even a jump start would not bring it back.

Should I just buy a new battery and see if that fixes it?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

F4I_GUY

No, have the battery load tested before replacement. Just because Honda says that their starters don't fail, doesn't mean they never fail.

SYMANTHA WARD
  • 1 POST
  • 2006 HONDA ACCORD

Basically, the car will not start but not because of the battery. It sounds like it wants to start, but it just will not turn over. Makes a weird noise and I changed the oil and added water to the radiator some. I am not sure what the problem is.

SATURNTECH9

So is the starter making noise when trying to start it? Also has the battery been tested?Have you checked to make sure the battery cables are clean and tight?

-1
ALIYA DAME
  • 2 POSTS
  • 2006 HONDA ACCORD

My car turns over but will not start. I have checked the fuel pump and its working and I am not getting a spark. So, I am figuring it is electrical. The battery is new and I have checked the fuses. Would anyone be able to point me in a direction? I am very new to all of this and I do not really have the funds to take it to a shop.

By the way, I had a friend put a code reader on it and he said it was my fuel sensor but we put gas in the car and when I turn it on the fuel gauge is over halfway. So I do not think that is the right code.

SATURNTECH9

If you have no spark t hats not going to have nothing to do with the fuel sensor. Was the code for a fuel level sensor?