CAR CRANKS OVER BUT WON'T START

Honda Accord

zepeda

June, 20, 2006 AT 2:57 PM

1988 honda accord, 4 cylinders with 150,000 miles. One of the sparks plugs I replaced pop off the heads and the car stop running after a few miles. I rethreaded the sparkplug hole and tried to start the car but it only cranks over. I check the fuses and the spark plugs have a spark. Any ideas?

Bruce Hunt

June, 20, 2006 AT 3:37 PM

May seem like a crazy idea but make sure the plug wires are in the right firing order. Did you pull the wires off the distributor?

zepeda

June, 20, 2006 AT 4:15 PM

Yes, I did check the firing order and they are correct. I think the spark plug ground and may have damaged an electrical ignition component or relay. What do you think?

Bruce Hunt

June, 21, 2006 AT 3:49 PM

Is the spark a yellow and not a blue arc? Failed electrical components such as the crankshaft sensor will allow the plugs to spark but the timing is so far off that the plugs have nothing to ignite because the fuel mixture was sucked out with the exhaust stroke.

zepeda

June, 21, 2006 AT 11:19 PM

Yes, the spark does appear to be yellowish. Where would I locate the crankshaft sensor? Is there a way to test it or should I go ahead and install a new one.

Bruce Hunt

June, 22, 2006 AT 1:06 PM

Have you gotten a check engine light to come on?

zepeda

June, 22, 2006 AT 2:59 PM

No. I went ahead and replaced the ignition coil, sparkplug wires, and the car cranks over but still won't start. I did notice an odd sound inside the block something like a winding sound, maybe. I can't figure out sound. I also tried using starting fluid on the carburator to see if it was a fuel issue. Still nothing. If I an not mistaken the car should have continued to run on three valves when the sparkplug pop out. I don't understand?

Bruce Hunt

June, 25, 2006 AT 10:17 PM

The crankshaft position sensor should kick on a check engine light. The EFI relay. That is what a friend name losone might tell you and he is a wise mechanic.

Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement