2003 HONDA ACCORD MASTER CYLINDER

• kmarollo
  • 2003 Honda Accord

Brakes problem
2003 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 53000 miles

IS there an adjustment on the master cylinder to adjust the pressure for the back brake calipers? I have had to change the rotors twice in the last 3 years due to rust. The surface gets pitted with rust. Also the emergency brake does not hold the car.

Friday, October 17th, 2008 AT 6:20 PM

• KHLow2008

Hi kmarollo,

No, you cannot adjust the master cylinder to make the rear brakes work better because the system is a diagonally crossed system meaning the front right and rear left uses 1 circuit.

Since the parking brakes are not functioning well, I would suggest checking the park brake cable adjustment. If the cable is adjusted too tight, the rear calipers would not automatically adjust its clearance. Unloosen the brake cable adjuster below the rear console and test drive with applying the brakes a few times. The brake pedal should feel higher than previously. Readjust the handbrake cable leaving a minimal free travel to ensure the brakes self adjust.

Wednesday, October 22nd, 2008 AT 4:15 PM