HOW DO I ADJUST MY EMERGENCY BRAKE CABLE?

2008 Honda Accord

Anonymous

December, 23, 2012 AT 11:58 AM

How do I adjust my emergency brake cable?

December, 23, 2012 AT 10:09 PM

Under normal circumstances, the brake cable is not required to be adjusted and improper adjustment would result in the rear brakes self-adjusting funtion to fail. If you have any problem, you need to have the rear brakes checked first.

PARKING BRAKE INSPECTION AND ADJUSTMENT

INSPECTION

1. Pull the parking brake lever (A) with 196 N (20 kgf, 44 lbf) of force to fully apply the parking brake. The parking brake lever should be locked within the specified number of clicks.
Lever locked clicks: 7 to 9 clicks

2. If the number of lever clicks is not as specified, adjust the parking brake.

ADJUSTMENT

1. Release the parking brake lever fully.
2. Pull out the center console rear trim (A)
3. Loosen the adjusting nut (B).
4. Raise and support the vehicle.
5. Remove the rear wheels.
6. Make sure the lever (A) on the rear brake caliper contacts the arm (B).
NOTE: The lever will contact the arm when the adjusting nut is loosened. If not, you would need to check the cable for seizure.

7. Clean the mating surfaces between the brake disc and the inside of the wheel, then install the rear wheels.
8. Pull the parking brake lever 1 click.
9. Tighten the adjusting nut until the parking brakes drag slightly when the rear wheels are turned.
10. Release the parking brake lever fully, and check that the parking brakes do not drag when the rear wheels are turned. Readjust if necessary.
11. Make sure the parking brake lever is within the specified number of clicks (7 to 9 clicks).
12. Install the center console rear trim.

Parking Brake Shoe Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front BMW M3