1993 Honda Accord E-brake

TTRAN2010
  • 1993 HONDA ACCORD
I took my car to inspectiion and got reject sticker. The e-brake is losing so I went home and readjusted because the brake still in good condition. I took the car back for inspection, but the inspector said that the car is still moving as he press on gas pedal. The e-brake is used to keep the car from moving but if you press on gas pedal, it will move, does it? If you pull e-brake and your car is in drive gear, then it is another thing. Am I correct on that? I'm thinking he is trying to get me to pay him extra money so he can pass. Please advice me.
Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010 AT 7:27 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi ttran2010,

Depending on the amount of accelerator pressure, the e-brake should hold vehicle to a certain extent. To test if the e-brake is working correctly, locate a steep gradient and pull the e-brakes. If it does not hold then it is not effective.

How did you adjust the e-brake?
Is it disc or drum brakes?
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010 AT 8:48 AM
TTRAN2010
It is drum, the brake shoe still have about 80% left. Also, I tested my 2000 jeep cheroke, I put it in drive gear with my hand brake pull, then I press on gas pedal, it also move, but if I left in drive gear with my e-brake on, then it won't move. When you adjust it, don't you have a little loose on wheel but not too tight so the wheels won't move. Please advice.
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010 AT 6:57 PM
KHLOW2008
If you had adjusted only the e-brake cable to get the lever height down, then then it would not work correctly.

The rear brakes are self adjusting and the e-, brake would likewise self adjust if the adjustment is correct. If the cable had been adjusted too tight, the brake shoe self adjustment would not work. Ensure the rear brake drum self adjusting mechanism is working correctly.

Here are the adjustment procedures.

PARKING BRAKE
NOTE:
Before adjusting parking brake, loosen equalizer adjusting nut. Start engine, and depress brake pedal several times to set self-adjusting brakes before adjusting parking brake.

1. With rear brakes adjusted, raise and support rear of vehicle. Loosen equalizer nut, and pull parking brake lever up one notch. Tighten equalizer adjusting nut until rear wheels drag slightly.

2. Release parking brake lever. Rear wheels should rotate freely. Rear wheels should lock when parking brake lever is pulled up 4-8 clicks.
Thursday, November 4th, 2010 AT 6:49 AM