2002 Honda Accord sensors

2002 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 167000 miles

I bought a rebuilt transmission and it was shipped in to the mechanic. It arrived without sensors. The seller said to take sensors off of old transmission. The mechanic says the if he does that it will not work and the sensors will not match up. The mechanic says it will cost 300 dollars each time to pull the transmission if it is the sensors after he installs it. If I send it back to the seller I will lose 250 dollars in shipping and still have to find a different transmission. The old transmission is slipping. The check transmission light comes on and the D4 light flashes. What would you do? Send the transmission back or pay to have it installed and take your chances and then replace the sensors.

Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 AT 12:29 PM

Hi Ralph,

Thank you for the donation.

This is a tricky situation.

1. The sensors are external so replacement can be done without removal of the trans assy from the vehicle. $300 is rather steep to do the job.

2. If the new transmission has a fault, even though it might have been rebuilt, you would have to pay the mechanic to remove the trans again.

3. Even if the trans had come with the sensors, there is no guarantee that the sensora are good.

4. If the sensors from the original transmission are faulty, moving them over to the new trans wuold result in the same problem.

5. If the sensors are good, then you would not have any problem moving them over.

Are all the sensors missing or only specific ones?

Is it the sensors or solenoids that are missing?

What is/are the exact trouble code retrieved for the D4 light blinking?

Though the original transmission is slipping, the cause might not be internal. A faulty sensor or solenoid can cause the problem.

If you have not retrieved the trouble codes, get a free scann done at Autozone to retrieve the trouble codes so we can understand the problem better.

If I am in the situation, I would get the trouble codes to understand what is causing the D4 light to blink before proceeding further.

Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 AT 1:16 PM