Intermittent air conditioner problem

MEGSU
  • 2001 HONDA ACCORD
I have a strange problem with the air conditioner unit in my car. For the last one year, I have noticed that my air conditioner unit does not turn on at times. Let me clarify, it is not that the air conditioner unit does not properly cool or heat the car, but instead it just does not turn on. Sometimes, it will not turn on for multiple days, then all of a sudden it will work just fine.

I took the car to the Honda dealer and they kept the car for two days and with my luck, the unit performed perfectly the time it was there. They were unable to replicate the problem.

So, here are things I have noticed, chances for air conditioner coming on are likely much greater when my car is not left out in direct sunlight. Mostly, it seems to work most mornings, but my rides in the afternoon are usually without air conditioning. At times, I have noticed that if I leave the air conditioner control knob in the ON position and reach high speeds of 60-70 mph, that the unit will begin working.

So, in conclusion, this is a sporadic problem in which air conditioner work at times and other times it does not.

I look forward to your feedback.
Sunday, June 13th, 2010 AT 8:06 AM

HONDAOWNER78
Wow, I thought I was the only one who was having this problem!

I took my car to the dealership and had the exact same thing happen to me.

They flushed the Freon and recharged the air conditioner, all to no avail.

My thermostat control panel flashes on and off when it is "working", does yours too?

The dealership told me that I would most likely have to get another control panel (from the junk yard, no less) because they could not get their hands on one themselves.

I surely hope someone responds to this thread soon, we are roasting in our cars!

I have a 4 cylinder, automatic transmission if that is what you are asking.

I asked a co-worker (who is thankfully more in the know about auto related issues than I am, being an ASE certified mechanic himself) to help me take a look at the fuses and relays to see if either of those might be the issue, and there appeared to be nothing wrong with either of those things.

As far as the cooling fans are concerned, yes, they still operate, but they act as if they are just venting from the outside and blowing whatever temperature of air that it is outdoors.

Also, the lights on the air conditioner control panel completely black out when it happens.

Sometimes the lights on the air conditioner control panel blink on and off just before the air conditioner cuts out, too.

However, when I took it to the dealership where I normally get the vehicle serviced, they could not reproduce the problem, nor did were they able to generate an error code from the computer.

Does this sound like an electrical issue to you, or could it be that something like an air conditioner filter or possibly the air conditioner drainage line being plugged up might be causing the problem?

Any ideas you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Thursday, June 17th, 2010 AT 11:37 PM
MEGSU
Sorry, I could not provide timely a response as I was out of town. It seems like you have a lot more details than I do regarding the problem.

I really do not know if control panel lights are flashing as I do not know where it is. :) I am really a rookie here.

The only problem is that this car has been so good to me and still runs like a champ. I would hate to move onto another car due to this silly issue. It was a nightmare the other day when the unit did not work and I was unable to use the defrost.

To answer the question regarding cooling fans. They seem to work fine.
Monday, July 12th, 2010 AT 8:01 PM
DOCFIXIT
In the under hood fuse/relay box find the air conditioner relay swap it with one on the cooling fan relays and see if the air conditioner stays on.
+1
Tuesday, July 13th, 2010 AT 2:23 PM
REDDB76
Any updates on this? My 2001 Accord is having these same problems.
Thursday, August 2nd, 2012 AT 9:01 PM
GABBY1976
I have the same problem, the LED lights blink then air conditioner shuts down. My compressor is fine and still blow the cool air when the light is back. I already changed air conditioner relay and low pressure switch but that is not working. If I adjust the temperature button to very low temperature. This problem can be fixed. My mechanic said my air conditioner thermostat may getting bad. Problem is where is air conditioner thermostat?
Friday, September 12th, 2014 AT 7:30 AM
KEN
I have seen where the climate controller goes out which is the main electronic component to the system. They short out from time to time. I would try to find a used one to save money.

Here are some diagrams (below) and guides to help us fix the problem.

There is a chance the engagement coil on the compressor has an intermittent short circuit which causes this problem, we have this video to show you how to replace it, the car is similar so you can get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pBoAA87gHI

Also you will need to vacuum down and recharge the unit, here is how

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9IvBziFUSo

Please let us know what happens so it will help others.

Cheers, Ken
Sunday, April 10th, 2016 AT 6:14 PM