GRINDING NOISE FRONT PASSENGER SIDE

1999 Honda Accord

jp60

July, 22, 2007 AT 3:45 AM

1999 Honda Accord LX 4 cylinder
Mileage $43,000 (yes that is correct, very little driving) / Automatic/ 2 wheel drive/4 dr sedan
Only repairs: battery/tires. Recently making grinding noise, like metal on metal only when car is moving. Doesn't matter what speed, noise stops when press on brake pedal. Sound coming from front passenger side. Noise does not happen all the time, sometimes once a day or less, but only when car is moving & it stops when brakes applied. Sometimes starts back up again minutes later, sometimes not. Had tires rotated today, they said brakes looked OK, but they are not certified for brakes, tire only shop. Friends suggest: Ball Joints/Wheel Bearing/CV joint or boot/ Axle bearing/drive axle/Brake pads & /or rotors. Hope to diagnose w/o having to fix or check all above problems. Please advise & thanks much

Bruce Hunt

July, 23, 2007 AT 1:01 PM

I really believe this is a brake issue. That said, you could have a caliper that is slowly putting pressure on the wheel rotor and thus dragging the pads on the rotor. Try driving the car and if you experience the sound, drive the car a mile or so allowing the sound to continue. Then stop the car and carefully touch the rotors on both front wheels. One warm and one hot you have the answer.

jp60

July, 25, 2007 AT 12:04 AM

Thanks much, I will try that. Let you know how it turns out.
: )

Engine Oil Change and Filter Acura TSX
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer
Coolant Drain and Refill
Oil and Filter Replacement BMW M5 2005-2010