1999 HONDA ACCORD 169K MILES

• Wheelsucker
  • 1999 HONDA ACCORD

We're having bitter cold weather here in chicago and my car was running okay, but then when I got on the highway it just lost power. It revs when the gas pedal is pressed and it starts just fine, but I cannot get it above 15 MPH and it finally died.

We put in heet in case it was a fuel line freeze up, but that did not help. My wife said the exhaust smelled "Rich".

It's a manual trans so I know it's not the tranny.

Any suggestions?

Monday, February 5th, 2007 AT 7:04 PM

• Bruce Hunt

Have you moded the air intake? Is the air filter clean and original in type. Lack of air or freeze up can restrict the air flow and act this way. The fuel line is yet another and the heet may not have reached the problem. Check this out and reply.

Tuesday, February 6th, 2007 AT 9:36 AM
  • Wheelsucker

The air filter is clean as I just had the oil changed two weeks ago. And yes, I did check it out.

No I have not modified the air intake at all.

The funny thing is, it starts, the engine revs without sputters and it idles just fine. It just doesn't go anywhere. My wife thinks maybe an O2 sensor went and it's running really rich. She says either that or the clutch!

Tuesday, February 6th, 2007 AT 12:58 PM
  • Bruce Hunt

Check engine light on at all? During the time when the car will not move does it feel like the brake is on? Does a brake get hot? Does it feel like something is dragging the car down?

Wednesday, February 7th, 2007 AT 7:01 AM
  • Wheelsucker

I think the check engine light came on when it died. No brakes do not get hot and the emergency brake is not on.

Wednesday, February 7th, 2007 AT 7:11 AM
  • Bruce Hunt

Help yourself and us, get the code from the computer.

Wednesday, February 7th, 2007 AT 9:47 AM