1998 Honda Accord Possible Fuel Pump

MARKTHREE
  • 1998 HONDA ACCORD
This car was just fine when I parked it last night. Went out this morning and it turns fine but doesn't start, or even kick. I don't smell any fuel ( fuel gauge works and tank has at least 6 gal.) Fuel pump fuse appears fine, but I can't find the relay. Does the '98 even have one? Any other way to narrow down the problem? A way to troubleshoot the pump itself?
Thanks!
Sunday, February 21st, 2010 AT 2:14 PM

Hi markthree, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation.

Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key to run if so check the fuel pressure.

Use a wrench to remove the fuel pulsation damper from its fitting.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fuel_pump_32.jpg

8. Attach the fuel pressure gauge.
9. Disconnect the vacuum hose (A) from the fuel pressure regulator (B) and pinch it closed with a clamp (C).
10. Start the engine and let it idle.

o If the engine starts, go to step 12.
o If the engine does not starts, go to step 11.

11. Check to see if the fuel pump is running: remove the fuel fill cap and hold your ear to the fuel fill port while an assistant turns the ignition switch ON (II) you should hear the pump run for about two seconds when the ignition turned ON (II).

o If the fuel pump runs, go to step 12.
o If the fuel pump does not run, test it.

12. Read the pressure gauge (with the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose disconnected and clamped). The pressure should be 320 - 370 kPa (3.3-3.8 kg/sq.cm, 47-54 psi) .

o If the pressure is OK and engine is running, go to step 13. If not running, repair the cause, then continue this test.
o If the pressure is out of spec, go to step 14.

13. With the engine running, unpinch and reconnect the vacuum hose and read the gauge again. The pressure should be 260 - 310 kPa (2.7-3.2 kg/sq.cm, 38-46 psi) .

o If the fuel pressure is OK, the test is complete.

14. Disconnect the vacuum hose from the pressure regulator again while you watch the pressure gauge. The pressure should rise when you disconnect the hose.

o If the pressure did not rise, replace the fuel pressure regulator.
o If the pressure is rose, but all your readings were lower than specified, check for a clogged fuel filter and for leaks in the fuel lines.
o If the pressure is rose, but all your readings were higher than specified, check for a pinched or clogged fuel return hose or line.

15. Reconnect the vacuum hose, remove the pressure gauge, and reinstall the fuel pulsation damper and a new washer. Tighten the fuel pulsation damper to 22 Nm (2.2 kg/sq.cm, 16 lb.ft) . NOTE: Disassemble and clean the fuel pressure gauge attachment thoroughly after use.
Sunday, February 21st, 2010 AT 4:23 PM
MARKTHREE
Thanks for all of your help, raz. The only info I could find about a relay under the dash for the fuel pump applied to Honda through 1997 only, and I have "98. Did the relay get moved into the brain in '98? JUst curious as you didn't mention a relay.

Thanks again.
Monday, February 22nd, 2010 AT 9:04 AM
Its the PGM-FI main relay that powers the fuel pump located at left side of dash
Monday, February 22nd, 2010 AT 11:25 AM