1998 HONDA ACCORD EVAP FUEL TANK LEAK

• Vetstudent
  • 1998 HONDA ACCORD

1998 Honda Accord 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 103690 miles

My accord is giving P1456 EVAP Emission leak detected (Fuel tank leak) error.I cleared the engine light once but it again came up today.
Also I have noticed a dip in car mileage
Please let me know how can I get it rectified (starting from cheapest) and how much it's gonna cost me

Friday, August 28th, 2009 AT 11:07 AM

• ImpalaSS

Hello -

To better assist you is your model the DX, EX, or LX. Also what is your engine size in liter.

Friday, August 28th, 2009 AT 8:08 PM
  • Vetstudent

Hi
My model is LX
Engine size is 2.3 L

Monday, August 31st, 2009 AT 11:03 AM
  • ImpalaSS

Hello -

Thanks for the information and sorry for the delay. Technical difficulty.

The code. It appears that it has to flag twice before it trips.

This is a two-trip code; once cleared, it cannot be reproduced in one trip. Also, certain specific driving and ambient conditions must occur before the ECM/PCM will complete the system checks. Additional test drives may still not meet the specific conditions needed to reproduce the code.

There are several tests to check the code. But the first suggestion is the fuel fill cap was not properly installed.

My suggestion. First make sure your fuel cap is on really good. At least 3 clicks.

Next please go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O'Reilly's (OR) and for FREE they can pull the codes to the car. Most important: Once they check your codes, please make sure you write it down and then have them clear the codes.

Then let's see if it trips again. That will eliminate the fuel cap.

Tuesday, September 1st, 2009 AT 5:17 PM
  • ImpalaSS

Hello -

Also, it looks like you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Recalls_37.jpg

Tuesday, September 1st, 2009 AT 5:30 PM