1997 Honda Accord cooling fan

TIRESMOKE
  • 1997 HONDA ACCORD
Hello, i recently had my engine washed with some engine cleaner and pressure washed it , i got the engine nice and clean .. i did this round 9 at night ..after i parked it in the garage now its cold and snowy out here but its in da garage.... oh and i air hosed it dry ok .....now the next day i went to work and all was good ....i parked it in the parking lot ..after 10 hrs my shift was over and now i drive the car home now here when the problem starts........When i turn my car off the coolant fan still is going and the heater blower is on in the dash....where as before i turn the key off and everything is off ......ok the fan goes for a little bit thats normal and shuts off but now it just stays on... just stays on completely and the heater still has power li turn it off on the dash but still i can turn it on without the key ...i replaced the coolant relay switch so its not the relay ....and i checked the fuse and its not that so i just took off the fuse now all is off ......but i put the fuse in and everything is on .....so if someone knows whats going on with my coolant fan being possessed i surely would appreciate it ..thanks

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/460716_0930081723_1.jpg

Friday, January 8th, 2010 AT 9:14 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi tiresmoke,

Thank you for the donation.

The blower motor receives its power from the blower motor relay in underdash fuse box. There is a possibility the relay is faulty and sticking causing it not to cut off when power is disconnected via the ignition switch. Try swapping the relay to see if it works.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_FuseDash97Accord_1.jpg

Saturday, January 9th, 2010 AT 11:51 AM
TIRESMOKE
Your welcome. But I found the problem out yesterday 1-9-10 surfing the net. Because I didn't feel like waiting for a tech to answer back. Which im glad I didn't because that's not what the problem was. The problem is. When I read in another website. Is under the hood there"s an accessory relay or coolant relay on top of the right side of the radiator corner. Which there's two of them which I replaced it which cost for each one $32.00 and that was the answer to my problem. The fan shuts off and the inside power is cut off the the ac/heat. So for any one else who has this problem as I did. Don't put all your eggs in one basket waiting for an answer. Do alot of research first which is free. Thank you anyways
Sunday, January 10th, 2010 AT 4:34 PM
KHLOW2008
Thank you for the input.

You are correct, the relay tends to short out when water gets to it, especially if the relay has detached themselves from the mount and becomes inverted. Water would collect and penetrate into the relay and cause it to short resulting in fans and blower to work.
Monday, January 11th, 2010 AT 8:02 AM