Intermittent wipers will not work

BERNARDIA
  • 1996 HONDA ACCORD

Four cylinder two wheel drive automatic 130,000 miles

The windshield wipers only work if I hold the lever down (lever goes up or down for manual wiper movement and gets turned forward and backwards for intermittent setting). The intermittent setting does not work anymore. How do I fix it? Please help driving in the rain gets extremely annoying. Thanks

Thursday, August 13th, 2009 AT 9:53 PM

F4I_GUY

Check to see if the wiper motor is getting the proper signal from the wiper switch. If so, replace the wiper motor.

-2
Friday, August 14th, 2009 AT 5:12 PM
WAYUCB7
  • 1990 HONDA ACCORD
  • MERGED

Windshield wipers do not work. I have changed the motor already and still does not work.

Wednesday, January 4th, 2017 AT 4:28 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

Have you checked the fuses and tested the wiper switch?

Wednesday, January 4th, 2017 AT 4:28 PM
WAYUCB7
  • MERGED

Okay, so I have replaced the switch and the wire from the steering console and the second harness. It still does not work. I have also tested to see if there are any power from the motor harness and it is giving power. I am stumped.

Wednesday, January 4th, 2017 AT 4:28 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

Replacing components without testing and confirming them to be bad is a costly and time wasting job. You should perform test first to locate the source of the problem.

WIPERS DO NOT OPERATE IN ANY POSITION
Blown fuse No. 6 (30 A) in dash fuse block.
Faulty wiper motor assembly.
Disconnected wiper linkage.
Faulty wiper switch.
Poor ground.
Check for open circuit in Green/Black wire.
Check for loose or disconnected terminals.

From the schematic, ground the Blu wire to test if the motor works in the low speed position.

Grounding the Blue wire should get the wiper running in high speed mode.

Perform above with wires connected and back probing the connectors concerned.

System is linked to Integrated Control Unit plugged into fuse panel at left kick panel.

Wednesday, January 4th, 2017 AT 4:28 PM
WAYUCB7
  • MERGED

Only performed tests on the motor and the switch, but does the wiper have a relay that is under the fuse box on a 1990 Accord model? I was on a Honda forum and someone told me to replaced a relay under the fuse box and it fixed his wiper problems.

Wednesday, January 4th, 2017 AT 4:28 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

There is an intermittent relay under the fuse box. If the relay is faulty, the wiper would not park itself.

To access the relay, remove the bolts holding the underhood fuse box and lift it up. You would see the relay bolted onto the lower part of the fuse box.

+1
Wednesday, January 4th, 2017 AT 4:28 PM
WAYUCB7
  • MERGED

Hopefully the relay was faulty and that was the cause of my problem. Thank you.

Wednesday, January 4th, 2017 AT 4:28 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

The relay is only for intermittent operations. If low and high speed mode is not functioning, the likely cause would be the integrated control unit, plugged into the underdash fuse box. At wiper switch, ground the blue wire (low speed) and blue/yellow high).

Ground the black wire and turn wiper switch on to test if wiper works according to the speeds. If yes, either the integrated control unit is bad or there is an open in black wire between switch and integrated control unit.

Wednesday, January 4th, 2017 AT 4:28 PM
DAMASTER15
  • 1992 HONDA ACCORD
  • MERGED

Four cylinder two wheel drive automatic 227,000 miles

I was driving home from school yesterday and there was heavy rain in the area. The windshield wipers worked for about fifteen minutes and then it just stopped. It was a very hard drive home. Does anyone know what is wrong with my windshield wipers?

Wednesday, January 4th, 2017 AT 4:28 PM