Intermittent wipers will not work

BERNARDIA
  • 1996 HONDA ACCORD

Four cylinder two wheel drive automatic 130,000 miles

The windshield wipers only work if I hold the lever down (lever goes up or down for manual wiper movement and gets turned forward and backwards for intermittent setting). The intermittent setting does not work anymore. How do I fix it? Please help driving in the rain gets extremely annoying. Thanks

Thursday, August 13th, 2009 AT 9:53 PM

F4I_GUY

Check to see if the wiper motor is getting the proper signal from the wiper switch. If so, replace the wiper motor.

-2
Friday, August 14th, 2009 AT 5:12 PM
WAYUCB7
  • 1990 HONDA ACCORD

Windshield wipers do not work. I have changed the motor already and still does not work.

Wednesday, January 4th, 2017 AT 4:28 PM (Merged)
KHLOW2008

Have you checked the fuses and tested the wiper switch?

WAYUCB7

Okay, so I have replaced the switch and the wire from the steering console and the second harness. It still does not work. I have also tested to see if there are any power from the motor harness and it is giving power. I am stumped.

KHLOW2008

Replacing components without testing and confirming them to be bad is a costly and time wasting job. You should perform test first to locate the source of the problem.

WIPERS DO NOT OPERATE IN ANY POSITION
Blown fuse No. 6 (30 A) in dash fuse block.
Faulty wiper motor assembly.
Disconnected wiper linkage.
Faulty wiper switch.
Poor ground.
Check for open circuit in Green/Black wire.
Check for loose or disconnected terminals.

From the schematic, ground the Blu wire to test if the motor works in the low speed position.

Grounding the Blue wire should get the wiper running in high speed mode.

Perform above with wires connected and back probing the connectors concerned.

System is linked to Integrated Control Unit plugged into fuse panel at left kick panel.

WAYUCB7

Only performed tests on the motor and the switch, but does the wiper have a relay that is under the fuse box on a 1990 Accord model? I was on a Honda forum and someone told me to replaced a relay under the fuse box and it fixed his wiper problems.

KHLOW2008

There is an intermittent relay under the fuse box. If the relay is faulty, the wiper would not park itself.

To access the relay, remove the bolts holding the underhood fuse box and lift it up. You would see the relay bolted onto the lower part of the fuse box.

+1
WAYUCB7

Hopefully the relay was faulty and that was the cause of my problem. Thank you.

KHLOW2008

The relay is only for intermittent operations. If low and high speed mode is not functioning, the likely cause would be the integrated control unit, plugged into the underdash fuse box. At wiper switch, ground the blue wire (low speed) and blue/yellow high).

Ground the black wire and turn wiper switch on to test if wiper works according to the speeds. If yes, either the integrated control unit is bad or there is an open in black wire between switch and integrated control unit.

DAMASTER15
  • 1992 HONDA ACCORD

Four cylinder two wheel drive automatic 227,000 miles

I was driving home from school yesterday and there was heavy rain in the area. The windshield wipers worked for about fifteen minutes and then it just stopped. It was a very hard drive home. Does anyone know what is wrong with my windshield wipers?

F4I_GUY

Check the fuse for it. If not, check to see if the wiper motor has the proper signal/power/ground going to it.

TAZORA
  • 1997 HONDA ACCORD

Front wheel drive manual 160,000 miles

My windshield wipers stopped working entirely the other day. One evening they were working. The next morning I cleaned the snow off my windshield, got in and tried turning on my wipers. They went to the full up position, then just stopped. I had to move them back down manually, and now they won't turn on at all. According to the fuse map, the washer fluid is on the same fuse, and that is still working. That fuse has also been checked, and it is okay. Any idea what might be wrong?

MHPAUTOS

Hi there,

If you were able to move the wipers down by hand easily, you will have a broken wiper linkage or regulator drive linkage. Turn wipers on, can you hear the motor working? If so check regulator if no motor it may of been overloaded with the snow and failed.

JOHNGULYAS
  • 1992 HONDA ACCORD

Six cylinder two wheel drive automatic 180,000 miles

My son's windshield wipers stopped working. What can I do?

Wednesday, January 4th, 2017 AT 4:29 PM (Merged)
HONDA TECH 1818
  • 547 POSTS

Check the number six (30A) fuse under the hood fuse box.

JOHNGULYAS

Thank you for responding to my question

SGWOOD
  • 1998 HONDA ACCORD

Four cylinder front wheel drive automatic 95,000 miles

Wipers only move when going from low to high for just a second. With several clicks going back and forth can get back to starting position. In pulling the lever (arm) down for quick wipe, works fine.

Therefore does not work when set on intermittent, low or high. Only when holding the arm down.

KHLOW2008

Hi sgwood,

The wiper intermittent relay seems faulty or disconnected. Check the relay located under the main fusebox underhood near the firewall.

GINFIZZ
  • 1995 HONDA ACCORD

Manual transmission 180,000 miles

First the bell when you leave your lights on stopped working. Then the intermittent windshield wiper setting stopped working, though the others are fine. The lighter quit working too. I checked the fuses and they are fine. What else can I check? I am afraid everything else will slowly quit too.

EXTECH

All those circuits may share a common grounding point. It may be loose or dirty. Many Hondas have a sort of "intermediate control module" which in many cases consolidates multiple functions. I can recall one Honda where the headlight warning chime and the seat belt warning chime failed not long after one another. The fix was this particular module being replaced. I would have to see a wiring diagram to see if the connection to the intermittent wipers is possible. My gut feeling says it may be. Generally, it is found behind the plastic kick panel on either passenger or driver side.

Hope this helps some.
ET

Related Windshield Wiper Not Working Content

Recommended guides