CATALYTIC CONVERTER DEFICIENCY

1996 Honda Accord

reddishs

August, 20, 2008 AT 7:50 AM

1996 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 240000 miles

When my check engine light came on I had it checked and the error message was Catalytic Converter Deficiency. I had the catalytic replaced by a local shop that welded on a new catalytic instead of using a after market factory bolt on like Honda uses. A week later the check engine light came on again with the same error message " Catalytic Converter Deficiency". Another shop told me that because the other shop didn't use the proper catalytic for my Honda that I will continue to get a check engine light until I replace the catalytic again with the correct catalytic. Is this correct?

Jack42

August, 20, 2008 AT 7:58 AM

Yes, if they used the wrong one the PCM wont see the efficiency as being within parameters and will trigger the light

reddishs

August, 20, 2008 AT 11:52 AM

2CarPro Jack,

How do I find the right catalytic converter for my car and replace it myself? Also, what is the sensor that is just before the catalytic converter?

reddishs

Jack42

August, 20, 2008 AT 12:19 PM

The dealer wouldl be the best bet for the correct one, but if he welded in an aftermarket, you may not be able to replace it yourself, since it is no longer a bolt in installation. The sensor before the cat is the upstream oxygen sensor.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen