CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND MALFUNCTIONING ODO

1995 Honda Accord

ectype

July, 19, 2009 AT 10:28 PM

Computer problem
1995 Honda Accord 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 136000 miles

Hello

I had a check engine light come on this past year. When I did the reading, the computer code said it was the throttle body sensor. Also the rpm odometer was bouncing around or not moving sometimes so I gathered that was the issue.

I recently had a a friend replace the throttle body on my 1995 Honda Accord LX V6 sedan. He reset the computer and it seemed fine. The check engine light was off and the odometer idle was back to normal. My car's performance was optimal.

Then about a month later the check engine light came on again and the rpm odometer reading was back to the way it was before however the drive performance is still good.

My friend said it could be a result of not having the right factory equipment to calibrate the throttle body and get it back to spec. He was able to replace the throttle body and set the voltage to the recommended idle standard but he doesn't have Honda equipment to be sure.

Do I have to go to a dealer or go to a repair shop with the proper equipment to get rid of the check engine light and restore the rpm odometer?

Or is this something entirely new?

Thanks in advance
Eugene

buddycraigg

July, 20, 2009 AT 8:23 PM

What was the error code for the second time the check engine light came on?

ectype

July, 21, 2009 AT 12:26 PM

I did the self diagnostic and a code 70 came up.

I quote from Haynes Automotive Repair Manual for Honda Accord 94-97 all models: " Problem detected with the automatic transaxle ( OBD-II )

buddycraigg

July, 21, 2009 AT 7:22 PM

I want to clarify something.

What are you calling an odometer?

ectype

July, 22, 2009 AT 1:07 AM

Meaning the tachometer / speedometer or instrument cluster. The one that reads the RPMs and idle.

buddycraigg

July, 22, 2009 AT 1:33 AM

Ok. I need to do a little back tracking, now that I know what you are talking about, and re-read everything.

For the future.
The odometer is a row of numbers telling you how many miles the car has been driven, found somewhere on the instrument cluster. Usually close to the speedometer.

The speedometer tells you how fast you are driving.

The tachometer tells you how fast the engine is running.

buddycraigg

July, 23, 2009 AT 7:02 PM

When the tach is boucing, what is the range it's bouncing between like 500-1000 or 0-3000.

And the engine is still sounding and running smooth?

Does the tach bounce all of the time?

ectype

July, 23, 2009 AT 7:42 PM

Sometimes it doesn't move at all, it stays at zero. Other times it will go from 0 - 3000 but that happens very rarely.

ectype

July, 23, 2009 AT 7:43 PM

I've also noticed the transmission has a slight delay when shifting. I checked the trans fluid levels and they seem fine.

buddycraigg

July, 24, 2009 AT 6:51 PM

Ok, about the tach.
It gets its' signal from a blue wire attached to the ignition coil. If the coil was freaking out, you would probably notice your engine wasn't running very well.

And then the blue wire connect to the instrument cluster.

So you most likely have a dirty connection somewhere with the blue wire,
or
The tach part of the cluster is bad, or has a " cold solder"

buddycraigg

July, 24, 2009 AT 6:54 PM

About the transmission.
You've got the computer giving you a code for a malfunction, and you felt that it's acting up yourself.

You should probably have it looked at.

If you are wanting to try it yourself, the first thing I do when I have a slow shift, is to do a pressure test.