1992 Honda Accord Steering Wheel Noise

• 2 POSTS

Steering problem
1992 Honda Accord V6 Front Wheel Drive Manual 98,186 miles

92 Accord 4 cylinder. I am getting a dragging noise from the steering wheel, ie like something is rubbing together. I seem to remember this popping up before when it started getting cold. I assumed the horn contact, removed access panels but see nothing to lube. Sound like rubbuing or a cable being wound tight when turing the wheel when it is cold.
I have the repair / service manuals, but still see nothing to lube. Does the steering wheel have to be removed with airbag? It comes right from the steering wheel between the wheel & dash. I know I could take it in to dealer but am disabled from the Gulf and sitting for long periods waiting is very painful. Is there something I can lube real fast to be done with this dragging noise? Its comes when cold and turing wheel. From the steering wheel itself not front end? Don't drive much due to disability hence only 96 186 miles. But have to depend on it to get back and forth to hospital.

Saturday, December 1st, 2007 AT 8:48 AM

Have you tried removing the two bezels that surround the upper column? That might get you some access to the moving parts. Use a spray lube, not a penetarting oil. Be sure it can be used in cold temp for your area. Sorry I cant suggest any, from SoCal. 50 is cold here. Lol. It takes a puller to get the steering wheel off, might be able to rent one at local parts store. Be careful with the air bag.

Sunday, December 2nd, 2007 AT 7:38 AM