1998 HONDA ACCORD STEERING WHEEL VIBRATION WHEN BRAKING

• dveer
  • 1998 Honda Accord

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1998 Honda Accord 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 214000 miles

I have an 98 6 cyl Accord with 214000. Had transmission replaced recently. Noticed that when braking from highway speeds, 65+mph, the steering wheel vibrates. When braking at lower speeds this vibration is not that obvious - a very slight one. But at 65+, the steering wheel vibrates quite noticeably. During accelerating or coasting there does not seem to be any problem. I did notice this even before I changed out the transmission for other reasons. I am curious if it just is an alignment issue or cv joints or brakes - the obvious culprits unless there is something else to check for. The tires are new Michelins that are factory recommended for this vehicle. The brakes have not been replaced for the past year and a half. Thanks for answering my question. - Veer

Friday, September 26th, 2008 AT 8:45 AM

• KHLow2008

Hi Veer,

Thank you for the donation.

The front brake rotors have lateral runout and you need to reface/replace them to rectify. You need to check the brake calipers and pistons and slider bolts as well.

Friday, September 26th, 2008 AT 12:06 PM