1988 Honda Accord Blown Timing Belt

LIZ O'DONNELL
  • 1988 HONDA ACCORD
Hi, Guys,

I have a 1988 Honda Accord. I did not know I needed to get the timing belt changed at 60,000 miles until I was poking around on the net today and discovered that information. This past Sunday I was going to go somewhere, and well let's just say I did not get very far at all.

I am worried because the material I read on the Net indicates that I may have a reall serious problem here. I am wondering if you can give me an idea of the possible outcome of the blown belt and what I might be in for price wise. I would at least like to know the average fee for a repair like this.
Tuesday, July 14th, 2009 AT 4:49 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

Unfortunately this is an interference engine and serious damage can happen when a timing belt brakes, at best you can expect bent valves in the head at worst cracked pistons, as for cost, you will really need to have the head off to see how much damage you have but I would estimate a starting price around 1K would not be unrealistic.

Tuesday, July 14th, 2009 AT 5:46 PM