1987 Honda Accord fuel pump

BLITZ210
  • 1987 HONDA ACCORD
I have a 1987 Honda accord and it out of the blue just stopped getting any power at all to go to the fuel pump. I have a repair book but can't find any answers. What should I look for to fix the problem? I know the pump isn't bad and there is just no juice going back to it
Saturday, June 21st, 2008 AT 4:15 PM

Try direct power from battery to fuel pump-pump turns on check and test fuse no.11, fuel pump relay and main relay.
Saturday, June 21st, 2008 AT 4:36 PM
BLITZ210
We added a new fuel pump relay and it still doesn't work. Would anything get damaged if we direct connected it to the batery and drove the car like that?
Saturday, June 21st, 2008 AT 4:54 PM
How about the main relay did you check and test? If you can rig it with a toggle switch go for it-no its not gonna do anything wiring it direct.
Saturday, June 21st, 2008 AT 5:12 PM
BLITZ210
Where is the main relay? Is it under the dash with the fuel pump relay?
Saturday, June 21st, 2008 AT 5:27 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi blitz210,

Fuel injected and carburetted models use different types of fuel pump relays.

The fuel pump relay for fuel injection model is incorporated into the main relay.

It is a seven pin dark grey or brown relay found underdash just above the driver side fuse box.
Sunday, June 22nd, 2008 AT 12:05 AM
BLITZ210
It is carburated and we replaced the fuel pump relay and have checked all of the fuses and still nothing. Would it be best to use a jumper wire and do a direct connect to make it work?

Sunday, June 22nd, 2008 AT 12:26 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi blitz210,

It requires a signal from the ignition coil, is the tachometer working?

Btw if it has an ECU under the passenger seat, then it might be causing the problem.

You can use a jumper to make it work direct, but in case of an emergency, the fuel pump would still be working if the engine is cut off with the ignition switch on.
Sunday, June 22nd, 2008 AT 2:17 PM