1986 Honda Accord

BRONCOSWOMPINTHATAZZ
  • 1986 HONDA ACCORD
I have a 86 honda accord lxi.
i took it for a drive a few weeks ago and it died on me. It wont start it cranks but wont start
i did a fuel pressure test and its 41psi. Checked compression also plenty. So I thought maybe pressure regulator wich I replaced and still didnt do it
so I went yesterday and bought an ecu still cranks but wont start if I prime the car it will start then die shortly after. The injectors have volts but when hooked to the diode light things from auto zone they dont light up. Can this be a crank sensor? Or somthin like that? What whould happen if I wired my injectors to a switch and ran them all the time?
thank you for the help
Thursday, December 24th, 2009 AT 6:22 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi broncoswompinthatazz,

The noid lights not working indicates the injectors are not pulsing and it could be a fault with the distributor sensors or a faulty ECU.

Was the ECU that you replaced of the correct part number? Did you retest if the new ECU is good?

The injectors are gounded by the ECU to complete the circuit which pulses. If you ground the injectors circuits permanently, you would not be able to start as floodng would occur.
Friday, December 25th, 2009 AT 9:20 AM
BRONCOSWOMPINTHATAZZ
I didint test the ecu before I bought it but I belive it and the older one are in working condition cause my old ecu stats another car of the same year. The part numbers are exactly the same. The car acts like it wants to fire for a split second then just cranks. The ecu from the working car did nothing for mine whouldnt start it. Will the crank sensor do the same thing? Cause it not to start?
Friday, December 25th, 2009 AT 11:04 PM
KHLOW2008
Did you test if there are any sparks? Sparks should be bright blue and not orange, which means they are weak and could be a faulty ignition coil.
Saturday, December 26th, 2009 AT 10:04 AM
BRONCOSWOMPINTHATAZZ
The spark is blue and long it will shoot almost a half inch or so. Its not spark tho cause it will fire when primed with gas or starting fluid somthing is not allowing the computer to sequince the injection because they get volts but no pulse so somthing is not allowing the computer to work I believe its the crank position sensor, that is part of the distibuter is there no way to check this part? Thank you
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009 AT 9:37 PM
KHLOW2008
The crank angle sensor is in the distributor, the part nearest to engine. It consist of a pickup coil and you can test the resistance. Should be between 350 to 700 ohms.

Since you are getting sparks, it is not likely to be the distributor that is faulty.

Was the replaced ECM a known good one? The injectors depends on the ECM to gound the circuit and did you test the wire continuity from the injectors to the ECM?
Wednesday, December 30th, 2009 AT 6:11 AM