1997 Honda Accord Wont start after running

SIGP229GUY
  • 1997 HONDA ACCORD
I bought a used Hoinda that wouldn'd start again after it ran for awhile. It would have to sit for a good bit of time before restarting. From what I can tell the spark is being cut for some reason because I smell fuel when attempting a restart. I was told to replace the distributor and the coil to remedy the problem. There was little to no improvemnt to this. At first I thought I received defective units and swapped out. Still no improvement. My car is throwing a EVAP code. Can this have something to do with it? If so what portion would be casuing this?
Tuesday, July 14th, 2009 AT 9:25 AM

BUDDYCRAIGG
What is the sub model for your car?
SE
DX
LX
EX

what engine do you have?
2.2
2.7

I need this information so I can look up the correct wiring schematics.
Monday, July 20th, 2009 AT 8:51 PM
SIGP229GUY
Any Lucy with the diagrams? Any other place you'd recommend looking for an answer to my issue.
Friday, July 31st, 2009 AT 8:17 PM
SIGP229GUY
I have also notcied that if I can get the car to start the D4 light will continue to flash until it is shut down and restarted. I am getting and Evap code and a factory trans module error code.
Thursday, August 13th, 2009 AT 7:59 AM
BUDDYCRAIGG
I'm waiting on you to answer my questions.
Thursday, August 13th, 2009 AT 7:25 PM
SIGP229GUY
I'm waiting on you to answer my questions.[/Quote:2b16aebc5a]

Sorry, the reply must not have went through. It is a 2.7 V6 and looks to be an LX w/ ABS.
Friday, August 14th, 2009 AT 7:50 AM
BUDDYCRAIGG
Ok, have you actually tested for spark when it would not start?

I want to be sure of that, so I know we are not fighting a leaking fuel injector problem.
Sunday, August 16th, 2009 AT 8:22 PM
SIGP229GUY
It depends I have actually check on two occasions. The first time there wasn't any spark. This is when I first replaced the distributor and coil.

Now:
Now I do have spark, but it still wont fire off. I will definately check the spark again when it doesn't want to start.

AS we stand this is where Im at.

I apologize for the delay to my response. I never eceived notification of your response. Thanks
Tuesday, September 1st, 2009 AT 4:28 PM
SIGP229GUY
I have check the last time it decided not to start and I found there was a spark.
I have had there be no spark before as well. I am really baffled on this. ANyhelp you can provide will be great! Thanks
Monday, September 14th, 2009 AT 8:56 AM
SIGP229GUY
When the car does not start there definately is no spark.
Monday, September 21st, 2009 AT 10:52 AM
SIGP229GUY
Just touching base to see if there has been any progress in solving the issue with my vehicle.
Tuesday, October 6th, 2009 AT 1:29 PM
SIGP229GUY
Any ideas yet?
Monday, November 9th, 2009 AT 12:24 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi Sigp229guy,

Sorry for the delay in replying. My fellow technician is on long leave and I just happen to stumble on this question so I will continue assisting you from here.

Just to confirm the data available before we continue.

1. Vehicle does not start intermittently?
2. When not able to start, you do have ignition sparks?
3. Was the fuel pressure checked when it could not start?
4. When D4 light stays on or blinks, engine could not be started? Thuis is an indication of a faulty PGM-FI main relay. Known to intermittently fail caussing non starting. Alternatively this can also indicate a faulty PCM f the Check engine Light stays on as well and does not go off after 2 seconds.

I would suggest checking the PGM-FI main relay first. Remove it to check the printed circuit board of the relay. If any solders are found to be cracked, resolder them and retest.
Monday, November 9th, 2009 AT 12:44 PM
SIGP229GUY
1. Correct
2. No spark when it does not start
3. No it has not been checked
4. D4 light blinks after a rough restart. The check engine light comes on clicks off and then imediately comes back on. Although I do have a code for evap. Could this be causing the light to stay on?

Where can I purchase this relay?

Tuesday, December 1st, 2009 AT 4:47 PM
KHLOW2008
The relay can be purchased at any parts outlet. If you are into DIY, resoldering the circuit board should do.

When sparks are not availabe, it most probably is caused by the distributor.

However if it is intermittent non starting and the CEL is showing, the fault would be due to a bad ECU.
Wednesday, December 2nd, 2009 AT 8:19 AM
SIGP229GUY
I have already replaced both the distrbuter and coil. It occured again and returned both units as faulty and replaced with two completely new units.
The non start issue and no spark only seems to occur when the car is hot and has been running for sometime. Once the engine cools to lower temp it fires right off. I have also heard the relay under the dash can be a problem. (With the hot and cold starts)If I go to the parts store what relay will I be asking for and where is generally located under the dash?
As mentioned I have a code for evap, so wouldnt the light be on due to this? I turn the ignition on and the light comes on goes out for a second and returns back on. When I plug in a computer the only code I see is and Evap code. In the case the ECU is bad after trying the relay first is this something I could easily purchase from ebay? Thanks for the help
Wednesday, December 2nd, 2009 AT 8:54 AM
KHLOW2008
Sorry I missed out the EVAP part. Let me know the exact trouble code so I can get the data for it.

The relay is known as PGM-FI main relay, commonly it is called the fuel injection relay.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_PGMFIRelay97Accord_7.jpg

Wednesday, December 2nd, 2009 AT 9:09 AM
SIGP229GUY
I'm working on getting the code for you. I should be able to reply in the next day or so.
Wednesday, December 9th, 2009 AT 11:26 AM
SIGP229GUY
I apologize for the delay. It seems I have aquired a few other codes as well. Here they are P0118, P0441, P1792. If I remember correctly one was for cooling, another for transmission and one for the evap.
I haven't gotten a chance to swap out the PGM-FI relay yet, but I plan on doing it soon. Thanks again for the help.
Tuesday, December 15th, 2009 AT 7:16 AM
KHLOW2008
P011 = Engine Coolant Temperature sensor.
This would cause non starting when engine is hot.

P0441 = EVAP Control System Insufficient Purge Flow. This could be due to clogged EVAP lines.

P1792 = Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. This is for the automatic transmission control circuit.

You would have to check/test the ECt for proper cononection or a fault with the sensor.
Tuesday, December 15th, 2009 AT 10:22 AM
SIGP229GUY
Where is the coolant temp sensor located on that engine.
Thanks again for all the help
Tuesday, December 15th, 2009 AT 10:41 AM