Headlights

PWALL1979
  • 1991 DODGE DAKOTA
  • RWD
My headlights work for the most part. Every so often they turn on and off, and sometimes they will just shut off completely. What can I do to fix this. All the fuses are good.
Tuesday, March 15th, 2016 AT 9:48 PM

Do you have a voltmeter or test light?
Here is a helpful article for you to take a look at.
Www.2carpros. Com/articles/how-to-use-a-voltmeter
www.2carpros. Com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester
Tuesday, March 15th, 2016 AT 9:56 PM
Mt laptop battery is dead. I'll be back tomorrow.
Tuesday, March 15th, 2016 AT 9:56 PM
PWALL1979
Yes I do what all do I test
Thursday, March 17th, 2016 AT 11:51 PM
I think the head light switch is the easiest to get to. Pull it out, then check for voltage on the red wire. If it is not there, we will have to go back to the fuse box. If it is there, check for 12 volts on the light green wire when the switch is turned on to the headlight position. To be of value, the testing has to be done when the problem is occurring. When it is intermittent like this, I fashion a test light or I use a clip lead to keep the voltmeter attached to the terminal, then I can quickly look at the light or meter when the problem happens again.

My suspicion is you are going to find the voltage goes away on only the light green wire. That is because there is an auto-resetting circuit breaker inside the switch assembly. Those trip based on temperature, and pitted contacts on the breaker cause heat to build up. Those circuit breakers cause more problems than they prevent. An additional clue is when that circuit breaker trips, the tail lights / running lights will still work because they're on a different circuit.
Saturday, March 19th, 2016 AT 3:22 AM