Hard steering wheel

OCTEXAS
  • 2006 CHEVROLET IMPALA
So my steering wheel has been giving me some problems. About six months ago the steering wheel started to get hard so we changed the steering fluid pump. That did not do the trick so we had to change the rack and pinion. It worked at first but the steering wheel would get hard sometimes. So we needed just removing the lid of the steering fluid pump. This worked for a couple months, but it started to slowly stop working. One thing that did help was when we would lift the car to change the oil or put on new tires the car seemed to turn perfectly fine and very smoothly afterwards. I noticed that while driving and pressing the gas the steering wheel is easier to turn (not easy, but easier). When I am at a stop sign and have to turn right for example it becomes very hard to the point where I can barely turn. Also at time when the car is first used in the morning the steering wheel seems not to be as hard to turn. We sucked out the steering fluid and added new fluid and that has not seemed to work. Any ideas? Please let me know.
Wednesday, June 8th, 2016 AT 8:06 PM

KEN
Yes, the steering rate sensor is bad and needs to be replaced, here is a pictue of its location #1. Let me know how it goes.

Best, Ken
+1
Saturday, June 11th, 2016 AT 2:04 PM
SHARQUILL
  • 2006 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I had got a new power steering pump and the shop told me I need a rack and I got the rack and they replace the rack and the steering wheel still hard to turned and I spend money and the problem not solved. What the next problem?
Monday, July 16th, 2018 AT 2:38 PM (Merged)
SHARQUILL
Update: They had to replace the steering wheel angle sensor cost me $230.00 all fixed!
+1
Nice work, we are here to help, please use 2CarPros anytime.

Cheers
-1
SHARQUILL
I will!
+1
Another thought, if everything we have talked about is okay. You might raise and safely support the front of vehicle, take tie-rods loose from steering knuckle, then see if you can turn the steering knuckle okay. If not, then you may have found your problem?
+2
SHARQUILL
No it has not been replaced.
MARBROYLES38
  • 2001 CHEVROLET IMPALA
My steering was just fine fine until I got stuck in the snow and now my steering is hard to turn. It is like the power steering is out, but checked the fluids on it and it is fine. I also tried to get off all the snow I could from under the car.

It sounds like you lost the power steering pump which could have nothing to do with the snow. Here is a guide to help you see what you are in for when changing the pump out:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-power-steering-pump

Check out the diagrams (below).

Let us know what happens and please upload pictures or videos of the problem.

Cheers
SHARQUILL
Can the tire rod be the problem?
I suppose it could? I do not know what else to tell you? You are not answering any of my questions, so I do not know where to turn?
MARBROYLES38
Yes, you were right. I got a pump for $78.00 and installed it (thanks for the guide) and now it works great, but you need to let it sit after it is together so the air bubbles can get out of the system, FYI.
CAJUNGUY65
  • 2004 CHEVROLET IMPALA
My car which I just purchased recently had a power steering issue. I have filled the reservoir with power steering fluid. It is extremely hard to turn. The fill reservoir is on the engine block in the rear of the engine. I cannot see any pulley for a belt. What can cause this extremely hard turning issue?
Monday, July 16th, 2018 AT 2:39 PM (Merged)
If it is hard to turn it is either the rack and pinion bad or the pump does not have enough pressure if fluid is black it may be the rack and pinion.