BRAKE PEDAL SENSOR?

2000 GMC Yukon

jameskato

December, 1, 2008 AT 8:24 AM

2000 GMC Yukon V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

Due to higher gas prices I have not been driving the Denali as often as I used to. A problem that started to come up the last few weeks I drove it daily was not being able to shift out of park to any gear. I had to pump the brake and try to shift at the same time. I put this on the back burner since I stopped driving it. Well the Chicago winter is here and I was thinking about using it when the roads are bad. The other night I noticed that when pressing the brake pedal, the rear tail lights would not be on. I also noticed that when the tail lights are off that I was unable to shift out of park as well, all of this while pressing the brakes. I am assuming that there is a sensor that sends a signal to the trans to shift and for the lights to turn on. What sensor would this be and how easy/hard is it to fix?

Excessive Brake Pedal Travel

Brake Pedal Sinking

racefan966

December, 1, 2008 AT 11:01 AM

You need to replace the brake light switch that is on a braket just under the dash at the brake pedal arm. Does this make sense? If not let me know ok. Thanks

jameskato

December, 1, 2008 AT 3:21 PM

I called up napa to hold the switch for me. They asked if I also needed the connector as well. I am most likely going to replace both, just to make sure. Would you know which one has a tendency to go out more? Or is there a way to find out which of those I really need?

racefan966

December, 1, 2008 AT 10:40 PM

It is usually the switch I have never had to replace the connector. Here is a pic of it incase your not sure what it is.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_101190_2.jpg

jameskato

December, 2, 2008 AT 2:44 PM

I picked up the switch yesterday and installed it in about 5 mins. Fixed the problem right away.

Thanks for the help!

racefan966

December, 3, 2008 AT 9:40 AM

That is great thanks for letting me know that it all worked out. Thanks for your support.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer