1995 GMC Sonoma cuts out/dies

SQUI284
  • 1995 GMC SONOMA
New head, idle control valve, pcv, runs great when running, no power loss, no noises, cuts out when it reaches about 100 degrees or 2-3 min from a cold start. Its very sporadic after that, it will do it anytime, any rpm range, but if im on the highway it wont completely die. It just cuts out, and I lose everything for a second and then get it back. Please help.
Monday, April 13th, 2009 AT 8:27 AM

97SONOMA_POS
Wait like your truck just dies randomly? If so that almost sounds like a fuel pressure problem. I have a few tests for that.

1. Make sure fuel pump runs
If running:
2. Remove quick disconnect from fuel filter, let fuel drain out, reconnect the line, and turn key to ignition(turning fuel pump on). Then check that line again, fuel should come out. Also check your Fuel Pressure Regulator located near cylinder 1, opposite of plug. Remove the little line(be careful they are hard plastic lines!) When you try to start no fuel should come out. (Fuel coming out means FPR is broken)

Try to hit back with some more info ill try to help u out. I got a 97 sonoma with a hell of a lot of problems. My post is 97 sonoma. :P

Oh and the cutting out, does that only happen in neutral? Or while you are still in gear? Mine cuts out in neutral for about the first 1-5mins UNTIL it is warm im gonna replace my IAC sensore see if that helps me any.
Tuesday, April 14th, 2009 AT 7:40 PM
SQUI284
Hey before you do IAC or Idle Control Valve, I just tested my ICM Ignition Control Module at the parts store and it was bad. Its underneath the coil packs on the 2.2 L easist to take off whole thing (3 bolts for the ICM and coil packs attached to it). Typically goes bad about 100,000 miles or more when dielectric grease dries up between ICM and mounting Plate. Sorry it took this long, I'll try to check back sooner.
Saturday, May 2nd, 2009 AT 6:35 PM