1999 GMC Sonoma coolant leak, engine shut down

MATT2511
  • 1999 GMC SONOMA

I wanted to get a better understanding of what could be wrong with my truck. I've had a coolant leak for about 4 days now, but I was goof and checked it several times to top off with coolant when it got low. Unfortunately, the leak got worse and it ended up losing coplant very quickly. Last night I was driving back home trying to make it and I knew I was losing coolant. Then, my engine just shut down after I heard a noise for about 2 miles. Now my truck will not start, and I'm afraid it's fried. Is it possible that I just need to fix the hose leak? The car will turn over but there's just no power to start it. I understand I could have blown a gasket as well. What is wrong with my truck? Thanks
Thursday, April 16th, 2015 AT 8:33 AM

FREEMBA
You could have a lot of issues but lets start here:

Check to see if the ignition system produces a spark when you attempt to start the engine. (If so, you can rule out ignition system problems)

Next, squirt a little gasoline or starting fluid into the intake manifold to see if it starts then. (If not, you can rule out fuel system problems)

Check the engine oil to see if there is water (engine coolant) mixing with it. (If so, the oil will be a tan/milky color) If the oil and water are mixing, you have a warped cylinder head or blown head gaskets.
In the case of the 2.2L engine, is likely a warped head, causing compression loss and thus preventing the engine from starting.
Thursday, April 16th, 2015 AT 9:03 AM
MATT2511
What's the repair cost of a warped cylinder head?

Is it possible that I just need to get the hose replaced? And then add some coolant back into the reservoir? I suppose I'm looking for any luck here with minimal damage done.

It does look like I've pulled a wire out from somewhere
Thursday, April 16th, 2015 AT 12:32 PM
FREEMBA
The cost of repairing a warped cylinder head varies depending on your location.
Around here its about a $700 to $1000 job. Don't think that a hose will fix this. However, if you have a hose that's obviously broken, fix it as well.
Monday, April 20th, 2015 AT 7:27 AM