1998 GMC Sierra Loss of power

PALMER1981
  • 1998 GMC SIERRA
I recently replaced the Idle air control valve, throttle postion sensor, MAFS, O2 Sensors, thermastat and for some reason it keep cutting out on me. What else can I check since I am a novice mechanic. Im not getting any codes and it seems difficult to start which takes about 3 times and with a little help from me pressing on the gas pedal
Wednesday, June 9th, 2010 AT 2:07 AM

Check and test the coolant temperature sensor and EGR and PCV valves if okay test the fuel pressure and comeback with the readings we start here
Wednesday, June 9th, 2010 AT 2:10 AM
PALMER1981
Called the mechanic that worked on it the other and said the vaccum were within range. He also suggested the temperature sensor I'm waiting for it to cool so I can pull out to check it. PCV valve is also brand new I forgot to mention last night. Dumb question how would the temperature sensor affect the truck? The mechanic said the sensor may not relaying back to the computer that it is operatoring at 190 degrees since I could had the wrong thermostat install which was giving them a reading of 160. I hooked up my program to the truck and I was getting a reading of 194 degrees. Wouldn't the sensor register as bad at this point? Thanks for the help sorry I'm asking a lot of questions just tired of it quitting on me it good truck and plan on keeping it for a few more years. Thanks
Gilbert
Wednesday, June 9th, 2010 AT 6:44 PM
Check the fuel pressure to rule out a clogged fuel filter and fuel pump
Wednesday, June 9th, 2010 AT 6:48 PM
PALMER1981
Changed out fuel filter havent been able to fuel pressure reading. The shop said it was good when I talked to them yesterday. But I have a new problem when I taking the temperature sensor I saw that the I think it the upper intake manifold was cracked where the temperature threads into. Is that the right name "upper intake manifold"; I filled it in with soem RTV I dont see any leaks and made sure to put teflon tape on it and was as careful as one could be when installing the temperature sensor to avoid cracking it anymore. Doesnt seem to be holding back anymore but the start is still a little sluggish
Wednesday, June 9th, 2010 AT 11:47 PM