WHINING NOISE APPARENT FROM EITHER TRANSFER CASE OR FRONT EN

GMC Safari

Cjwoods

August, 11, 2007 AT 10:16 AM

I have a 2000 GMC Safari AWD, 4.3L with 98,000mi. Back in Dec2006 I had the transmission rebuilt due to the " sun" gear failing. Over the last 2 weeks I have noticed a whining noise almost like a gear noise that has gotten quite audible. The noise is not grinding like a bearing failure but more like a gear mesh or belt kind of noise. It increases and decreases with the speed of the vehicle. No change when in nuetral and coasting. Checked the front and rear differential fluids and added a slight amount of gear lube to the front. No change. What should I be looking for? 8)

daddyman

September, 24, 2007 AT 10:49 AM

I have a 99 AWD 4.3 Safari with the same noise, the shop told me it was a failing alternator which I replaced myself, but the noise didn't change one bit. And like you the whirring speeds up and slows down with engine speed if transmission is in gear.
Did you make any headway with your problem?
Thanks.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Chrysler PT
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour