FLOODING

1988 GMC S15

mwitty

April, 21, 2010 AT 9:48 AM

1988 GMC S15 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a 1988 GMC S15 in my shop and it will flood without cranking, only goes 30 mph, fouls spark plugs, and its hard to start hot or cold. We put brand new distributor caps, spark plugs, wires, rotor button, tried a different map sensor, removed the catalytic converter, did a compression test all cylinders were 100 lbs.

hmac300

June, 16, 2010 AT 7:33 PM

If this is a 2.5 and I think it is, they had a problem with the reluctor in the dist cracking. The distributor has to be replaced to fix this. As the TBI picks up pulses from the distributor to put fuel in this may be your problem. I've had the same problem with a V8 though with the same problem. I've been unable to find anything or diagnose what's wrong with it. Multiple items have been replaced and still the same problem. With yours that is the only thing I can think of unless your fuel pressure is to high. A TBI unit should only have 9-11 p.S.I.

Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right