CAR WONT START

2000 GMC Jimmy

emmasmom610

March, 18, 2010 AT 10:00 AM

2000 GMC Jimmy

when I turn the car on it wont start. It turns over but its not catching its like its not getting any gas

March, 18, 2010 AT 10:15 AM

Have a helper crank it, while you visually check for spark at the plugs. If you have spark everywhere, use a gage and check fuel pressure.

To check for spark at the plugs, you can pull a plug wire, stick known good plug or spark tester in the plug boot, ground metal part of plug/tester to metal part of engine, watch for spark. Also, some of the national brand autostores used to loan out a fuel pressure gage, if you don't have one.

emmasmom610

March, 18, 2010 AT 11:21 AM

Thank you very much.

middy

March, 18, 2010 AT 1:01 PM

Parked in a quiet place, vehicle off, turn the key forward to the 'on' position (but not all the way to 'start'). Listen for a whirring noise that should last about 3 to 5 seconds. That is your electric fuel pump building up pressure in the fuel line.

If you don't hear that sound, you could have a failed fuel pump, which is not uncommon in a Jimmy, though I'm not sure about the 2000 model. Another common symptom of a failing or failed fuel pump is that your fuel guage will read empty most or all of the time.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang