2000 GMC JIMMY CAR WONT START

• emmasmom610
  • 2000 GMC Jimmy

2000 GMC Jimmy

when I turn the car on it wont start. It turns over but its not catching its like its not getting any gas

Thursday, March 18th, 2010 AT 10:00 AM

• JDL

Have a helper crank it, while you visually check for spark at the plugs. If you have spark everywhere, use a gage and check fuel pressure.

To check for spark at the plugs, you can pull a plug wire, stick known good plug or spark tester in the plug boot, ground metal part of plug/tester to metal part of engine, watch for spark. Also, some of the national brand autostores used to loan out a fuel pressure gage, if you don't have one.

Thursday, March 18th, 2010 AT 10:15 AM
  • emmasmom610

Thank you very much.

Thursday, March 18th, 2010 AT 11:21 AM
  • middy

Parked in a quiet place, vehicle off, turn the key forward to the 'on' position (but not all the way to 'start'). Listen for a whirring noise that should last about 3 to 5 seconds. That is your electric fuel pump building up pressure in the fuel line.

If you don't hear that sound, you could have a failed fuel pump, which is not uncommon in a Jimmy, though I'm not sure about the 2000 model. Another common symptom of a failing or failed fuel pump is that your fuel guage will read empty most or all of the time.

Thursday, March 18th, 2010 AT 1:01 PM