2002 GMC Envoy climate control

LESA
  • 2002 GMC ENVOY
2002 GMC Envoy 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 112K miles

I'll try and make this short.
battery died (6 years old), replaced battery, had altenator and new battery tested, both tested good.
Since new battery was installed I am unable to use the climate control (heat or air). As soon as the fan kicks on power drops, lights dim, idle drops to 0 and car dies. If I happen to be driving at say 45mph and attempt the system there is a temp. But major drop in power and rpm's and then surges as the car attemps to compensate. Trouble code thrown was cam shaft sensor, so I put in a new one to no avail.
There was absolutly no troubles until the battery issue, may be a coinsenidence but rather odd timing
Thursday, March 6th, 2008 AT 8:14 PM

LESA
Hello folks, Found the problem so figured I'd post so it may help others (sorry, but I don't have any $$ to offer)
Oddly enough the trouble is not directly related to the hvac system, but instead is an issue with the gas pedal. The gas pedal is electronically controlled and there is a control box located under the air filter (easily accessed). Seems this device had become gummed up and was unable to do it's job in regards to delivering the correct power and information under draw. Here's the catch. Once the thing has reached this point it can damage the mechanics inside resulting in the electronics sending the wrong info even after being cleaned and lubricated and needs to be replaced. They run about $225 and it will take you about 30 45 minutes (if you are mechanically inclined!)
These kinds of things can really throw you because they send strange trouble codes, which btw clear themselves once cleaned, about your cam position and map sensors.
Hope this helps someone out there. It took me almost 5 days (on my own) to work this one out as seemed no one had any ideas other than to tell me my car was haunted. Not what you want to hear, but typical response from a male mechanic to a female who works on cars!
Tuesday, March 11th, 2008 AT 7:45 AM