Starting problem

JIMGMC
  • GMC C1500
I have a 94 GMC pickup 1500 V6 4.3 motor with 200,000+ miles on it. It wont turn over anything. When I try it doesnt dim lights. Someone told me it may have a Remote Starter control or. Where is this located and can I get another or fix this one? Jim Wiseman
Saturday, February 24th, 2007 AT 2:10 PM

KIN CHAN
No such thing on gm truck as remote starter ctrl. But ur problem is real basic electrical. Any competent shop should be able to fix it under $500. Good luck
Saturday, February 24th, 2007 AT 10:17 PM
JIMGMC
Here is the whole story on this electrical or weird problem.
A few days ago I came home from town and pulled up in front of the garage and turned off the key. The motor kept on idling along like I hadnt turned off the key! I tried a few times turning the key off and on and it still idled right along. Then I happened to step on the brake pedal and the motor shut off! Next day started up truck and went to town. Went to one store and came out and tried to start, nothing happened. All the usual lights were lighted on the dash but nothing. Turned on headlights to see if the starter would dim them when trying to start, didnt dim at all. Towed truck home. Turned off key after putting trans in P after towing and turned off key. Buzzer was going so took out key and buzzer still going, lights on dash on! Wiggled brake pedal and lights and buzzer went off! When wiggled brake pedal again same thing buzzer and dash lights. Took of battery cable. I have never heard of any thing llike this in 50+ years has anyone else? Thanks Jim Wiseman
Sunday, February 25th, 2007 AT 3:22 PM
MOKIEPOET
I can't help with the problem, but I have experienced similar problem with my 93, suburban in the past three years. Mostly all sorts of electrical issues some have repeated them selves. I gotta say I have kinda lost faith in chevy/gmc. I have always liked older cars because they are easier to work on. I guess everyone is expected to trade in their car before they start going south. I am no good with electrical work and my mechanic says it is really hard and expensive to track shorts. Good Luck!
Wednesday, March 14th, 2007 AT 9:33 PM
JIMGMC
Here is the answer to this mysery. My buddy has been a mechanic for 30 yrs so I took the truck to him. I told him about applying the brake and all the other symtoms I had. He took off the BRAKE SWITCH put on a new one and a coil that was burned out on acct of relays were open on acct of swithch and the truck started up! Damnedest thing he ever saw in his experience. Truck is just fine now. JW
Thursday, March 15th, 2007 AT 6:22 AM