LOUD CLUNKING NOISE IN 4X4

GMC C1500

slopez

January, 22, 2006 AT 8:59 AM

I have a 89 Chevy K1500 long box. When I put it in 4H or 4L it makes a loud clunking noise. I am not sure if it is staying locked into 4x4. It has the automatic hub locks, so I don't know if that could be the issue. It drives fine in 2wd with no noises. In 4L is seems it is trying to kick out of 4L and sometimes ends up being in the Neutral setting. Transfer Case? Axle problem? Hub issue? Any advise would help. After a little more investigation I have found that the loud clunking noise is only happening when the wheels are turned. It does not matter if the wheels are turned to the left or right. If the wheels are straight the clunking noise stops. I am guessing this would eliminate the transfer case or the driveline as the source. Any words or wisdom?

palco

January, 22, 2006 AT 10:36 AM

Drive line. Transfer case chain drive. Auto hubs. Ring and pinion. U-joint in the steering knuckle. Take out the drive line. Then engauge the transfer case if there's still a clunck you know what direction to go. Good luck

kazoo2281

Sounds like splines on front drive shaft are worn out had a 92 chev sivlerado 4x4 had it in 4 hi and heard a pop. Splines were gone

slopez

February, 1, 2006 AT 1:59 PM

Any info.

chevy350guy

February, 2, 2006 AT 11:31 AM

Check u joints in front axle for play

Engine Oil Change and Filter
Front Pad-Rotor Replacement Subaru Legacy
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford