Gear shifter is stuck in reverse

DAVIDEISEN
  • 2006 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
Gear shift is stuck in reverse, car wont start, the knob to move shifter will not depress. All the lights come on in the car, the gear shift is stuck in the reverse position. What can I do to try and fix it? How do I remove the gear shift? What else could it be. The car was running great earlier today, then tonight this happened out of the blue.
Friday, September 13th, 2013 AT 9:34 PM

TY ANDERSON
A few things happening here. There is a switch on the brake pedal that tells the shifter to unlock with the key on and the brake pedal depressed. You need to find out if you getting power to the brake pedal switch and through the switch if that is good you'll need to find if your getting power to the shifter lock (with the brake pedal pressed) You will need to remove the center console to gain access to the shifter assembly to test or bypass the shift interlock mechanism that is locking the shifter in place. Remove the screws and trim pieces to gain access to the shifter.
Let me know if you have any more questions
+8
Sunday, September 15th, 2013 AT 8:56 AM
KEN
This can be one of two things. Either the interlock solenoid is not working or the shift cable is broken or seized down at the transmission which is common. Get under the car by the selector shaft at the transmission and have someone move the shift lever back and fourth you will see the cable is separated from the mount.

Here is a guide so you can jack up the car safely and some diagram (below) to show you the repair

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/jack-up-and-lift-your-car-safely

I would also check the fuses to make sure the solenoid is getting power.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

Here is the shift cable for $47.00 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013FW68K/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=2carprcom-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B0013FW68K&linkId=fb75f5b4c858cb6c29ac94c0eb061d89

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Let us know how it goes, we are here to help at 2CarPros

Best, Ken
+9
Thursday, August 11th, 2016 AT 10:51 AM
ALBERTO TORRES DROZ
I had the same problem with my trailblazer I check the shifter cable and it was the shifter cable bushing that's that small rubber piece on the shifter
+13
Tuesday, July 11th, 2017 AT 10:04 AM
KEN
Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :)

Cheers, Ken
+2
Tuesday, July 11th, 2017 AT 4:24 PM
RICK EOBINSON
  • 2005 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
My wife backed in the garage and when she tried to put it in park it was stuck in reverse. We tried gently rocking in but still could not move the shifter. Of course we cannot start the car. How can I fix the problem or am I going to call a tow truck?
Tuesday, January 22nd, 2019 AT 2:01 PM (Merged)
KEN
It sounds like the shifter cable or the mount has lets go or come loose, look underneath the car while she moves the shifter back and fourth too see what is going on, please let me know what you find.

Best, Ken
-2
MERRILL10096212
You are correct. It is a broken cable. Cost to repair - $404. Thanks for the help!

Rick Eobinson.
+4
KEN
Good to know, Please use 2Carpros anytime.
+1
BIGMIKE7580
  • 2005 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
My wife has a 2005 Trailblazer with a I6. She backed out of the garage 20 ft before trying to shift into drive. However the vehicle wouldn't shift out of reverse. She killed the engine, but only to lock the vehicle in reverse and now unable to start it. The key was also stuck in the ignition in the run position. Check engine light now on.

1. First I checked the shifter linkage. GOOD at Trans.
2. Read that not enough volts would cause the shifter lockout solenoid to activate.
3. Hooked up my vehicle by booster cables. (Quick attempt to move vehicle out of the alley we were blocking). NOTHING
4. Removed top of center console to access the shifter lockout solenoid. Manual shifted into neutral to push the vehicle out of the alley. WORKED - linkage is GOOD.
5. Shifted into park, but indicator stayed in Reverse.
6. Next day, I borrowed a Scan Tool, but battery was dead now.
7. Charged battery overnight and ran scan tool, but no codes registered on the tool.

I'm thinking the neutral park module on the Trans but why no Code? Any other
suggestions?
MADMIKE1735
It sounds like the cable fell apart at the steering column, can you see if the the calve housing has come undone? Please let us know want happens so it will help others,

Best, Mike
-1
TWINDRAGON73
When the battery went dead overnight that cleared the code(s).
If you have a good scan tool use it to activate and deactivate the parts you suspect. If you have access to a lab scope this will help you a lot in finding out if you have a bad sensor or module
-1
KEN
How did things turn out? I was thinking it could be inside the transmission, the selector shaft is broken or jammed?

Best, Ken
-1
YOHANCAR
  • 2004 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
When I was reversing the car it will not come out reverse and I can not start the engine
Have you checked the linkage to the transmission to make sure nothing is damaged or disconnected?
DAN47CT
  • 2007 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
2007 Chevy Trailblazer gear lever is stuck between reverse & park. I can't start the car but can remove keys. What can I do to free up gear shift?
+1
Check the linkage under the vehicle where it attaches to the transmission.
-2