Gas gauge not working properly and code P0463

ROSS SMITH
  • 2007 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I’m so happy to find this site. I have the truck listed above (classic). My check engine light came on recently. Then I noticed the gas gauge may register low. It may register accurate. It may be some where between. But I don’t think it ever registers more than what’s in the tank. I’m mechanically inclined but ignorant about this topic. I want to repair it myself. I put my programmer on it and got the code P0463. From my internet research, it could be a number of things from the cluster to a sensor on top the fuel tank. I’d like to narrow down my options to diagnosis it. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Wednesday, December 2nd, 2020 AT 2:50 PM

Hi,

In the tank, there is a float that is attached to a rheostat. The rheostat sends a voltage signal to the PCM which goes to the BCM and then to the gauge. Ugh! A lot of things there.

I suspect the rheostat is bad or the float is going bad, However, If you look through the attached pics, they indicate the diagnostics for troubleshooting the issue.

Let me know if they help or if you have other questions.

Take care,
Wednesday, December 2nd, 2020 AT 7:24 PM

Sponsored links