Ford Windstar 2002 124,000 kms 3.8 litre stalls while drivin

RONALD333
  • 2002 FORD WINDSTAR
Can you tell me where the pcm power relay is located. I will make a donation later. Thanks
Wednesday, November 14th, 2007 AT 5:54 PM

RONALD333
Hi, my van stalls about 4 to five times a day. Usually going uphill or on the flat but never downhill. I turn the key off and put it in neutral and it starts right away and runs well for awhile. I have been to ford who said there was no codes and couldn, t help me.I went to a tuneup shop and had neww plugs and wires andnewfuel pump egr valve egr solenoi and fuel filter and fuel injection cleaned. It ran great for about 20 minutes and stalled again. So I wnt to a specialty shop yesterday. They checked everythin okand still no codes they say that its got to be the computer but wouldnt give me any guarantees. Its an expensive part and i, m not sure what to do. Can you helpme before I go crazy. Thanks :shock: :shock: p.S. It does, nt stall normally, it just dies instantly
Thursday, November 15th, 2007 AT 4:43 PM
RONALD333
Hi, no I dont have after market anti theft device or any cards on my key chain. I, ve even tried a spare key that I have and it made no difference. Do you think that I should bite the bullet and have a new pcm installed? Today my van was even worse. It cut out about 8 times at slow speed on flat roads and also on hills at high speeds. Thanks ron.P.S. Was rear ended about one and a half years ago and had a new tailgate installed but no problems up until now.
Tuesday, November 20th, 2007 AT 6:46 PM
RONALD333
Hi, JUst went to my van to check if was any codes yet. Could not believe it, there is finally a code. Its p0174---system too lean [bank 2]. What should I be checking out. Ron.
Tuesday, November 20th, 2007 AT 9:07 PM
RONALD333
Thanks steve, I will get a new pcm. Can I install it myself, I know how to physically install it but dueyou need special equipment to set it up?
Tuesday, November 20th, 2007 AT 9:22 PM
RONALD333
Hi, thanks for everything. I, ll let you know whats hapenning in a few days. Ron :D :D :D
Tuesday, November 20th, 2007 AT 11:39 PM
RONALD333
Hi Steve, finally found the problem. A father and son shop close to my house took my van for a week and gave me a courtesy car. It was the alternator. It was giving 14 volts to the battery and sometimes only 12 volts to the pcm which needs at least 13 volts to operate the engine. Runs great now. Thanks for all your help. Ron
Monday, January 7th, 2008 AT 9:43 PM
AUTOGER07
I too am having the same problem but, I had my alternator checked it was fine so they say. Any advice on what you did to solve your problem with the alternator. Some are saying that it is the pvc valve in the back of the engine with an air leak, also did your engine make a funny noise coming from the belt side, kind of a sqeeking noise. Im going crazy with this.
Wednesday, January 16th, 2008 AT 9:50 AM