CAR CRANKS BUT WONT START

Ford Windstar

Tiny

sheets26

May, 3, 2006 AT 11:47 AM

I have a 1992 lincoln town car and was driving it ans it just died. Now it cranks and wont start. It keeps blowing the fuel pump fuse. When replaces the fuse blows with in seconds. What couls be the problem?

FOUND 51581 RELATED QUESTIONS

23 Answers

Tiny

losone

May, 3, 2006 AT 5:45 PM

Defective fuel pump relay or the fuel pump. It is in the gas tank good luck

Tiny

sheets26

May, 3, 2006 AT 6:12 PM

Thank you. Will that fuel pump relay blow the fuse? The auto repair places said it wouldnt but talk to another tech and said it would

Tiny

losone

May, 4, 2006 AT 8:00 AM

10% chance it is the relay and 90% the fuel pump. Good luck

Tiny

sheets26

May, 4, 2006 AT 1:46 PM

If you smell gas when it trys to turn over is it the fuel pump? So people have us confused one says one thing and another another thing

Tiny

losone

May, 4, 2006 AT 2:15 PM

If you smell gas and the fuel pump fuse is blown it is residual fuel. I strongly suspect you have a bad fuel pump. It is a bear to replace as the tank has to be dropped. The less fuel in the tank the better. Good luck and don't get confused, it is a simple problem.

Tiny

sheets26

May, 4, 2006 AT 2:20 PM

Wel we have checked a lot of things and yesterday when we put another fuel pump relay in it blew the fuel pump fuse as soon as u try to turn it over so we will now try the fuel pump but when u trun the key u hear a winning nosie from the gas tank.

Tiny

losone

May, 4, 2006 AT 2:47 PM

If the fuse is blown, key on, the pump can't run unless you have a major wiring malfunction.

The fuel pump is in the tank and a bear to change, make sure the tank is low on fuel when you drop the tank. Below is a listing of different pumps that apply to your car. Good Luck

Tiny

sheets26

May, 4, 2006 AT 3:01 PM

Well the fuse didnt start blowing as quickly until we change the fuel pump relay out now u dont hear the winning nosie now as soon as u try to turn it over it blows befrore that it took trying to turn it over a couple times before it blew.

Tiny

losone

May, 4, 2006 AT 4:55 PM

Humm it lookls like the pump after all good luck

Tiny

sheets26

May, 5, 2006 AT 11:42 PM

We changed the pump today. It still blows a fuse. Any suggetions?

Please login or register to post a reply.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Pressure Test