2003 FORD WINDSTAR 2003 WINDSTAR BATTERY LIGHT COMES ON

• Mountaineer1977
  • 2003 FORD WINDSTAR

2003 Ford Windstar 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 81000 miles

I have a 2003 Windstar and the battery light will come on intermittently. It will run fine. You stop and restart and it will clear. The battery and alternator were replaced last year. I have yet to be able to catch it where I can take a volt-ohm meter to it. Is the alternator failing again? The last one just completely died. It didn't give any warning.

Friday, February 5th, 2010 AT 7:11 AM

• Jack42

It may be going out. Did you use a high quality replacemnet or a less expensive unit? The chaper ones are exactly that. Cheaper. First check all connections at the alt and battery to be sure they are clean and tight, this can cause intermittemt charging issues. If it continues and all connections are good, it sounds like the alt

Friday, February 5th, 2010 AT 8:09 AM
  • Mountaineer1977

It was from Advance. It was the only one in stock so it was running about the same price as the other stores. I have done a quick check on the connections but not good one. Will try that one next.

-1
Friday, February 5th, 2010 AT 11:35 AM
  • Mountaineer1977

I redid the connections. I thought it helped but it came on again. I checked the voltage at the battery with the alternator light on, it was 14.5v. I restarted the vehicle, light went away. It was putting out 12.5v with the heater, lights, etc running but no light. Any ideas?

-1
Monday, February 15th, 2010 AT 11:21 AM
  • Jack42

Sounds like the regulator in the alt may be bad. The light may be coming on due to overcharging (almost 15 volts). Be sure the ground on the engine is clean and tight

-1
Monday, February 15th, 2010 AT 11:31 AM