2003 Ford Windstar PCM?

CHEVYGIRL81
  • 2003 FORD WINDSTAR
The check engine light is on, and the battery light comes on sometimes. Been diagnosed with altenator going out but it was replaced a couple of years ago. Allso has rough idle lately, and able to cruise at 40 w/o touching the gas pedle. After high idle there is a burning smell. I can also feel tranny slipping just slightly from time to time. And power windows act up, sometimes one window will stop working and another window that didn't work will start working. Could a PCM be causing all these problems? Should I try resetting it?
Saturday, March 14th, 2015 AT 7:31 AM

WRENCHTECH
That would be no and no.

You have an assortment of issues that you have done nothing to resolve. Start repairing the known problems first. You know you have a bad alternator. You have a check engine light that you need to have the codes read. The windows will be another separate problem.
Saturday, March 14th, 2015 AT 8:00 AM
CHEVYGIRL81
I have been fixing issues with this van believe it or not it had more wrong with it. It is just that I read a reply to another question from another mechanic that idle issue can be a pcm and drain the altenator. So I looked up some research on pcm and found it also can effect windows. If you read my post you would see the altenator was replaced a couple of years ago already, I don't want to replace it again if that is not truly the issue.

Can you please explain what else could be causing the idle issue than if you are saying no its not the pcm?
Saturday, March 14th, 2015 AT 9:48 AM
CHEVYGIRL81
Ps. I have had the codes read 4 times and keep getting told a vague answer about the cadalic converter and that its just probably bad gas. I have tried switching gas up and gas stations but still have the light. I'm not just driving my vehicle to death. I am trying to fix it
Saturday, March 14th, 2015 AT 9:52 AM
WRENCHTECH
I never said the idle problem couldn't be the PCM. I said ALL of your problems are not related to the PCM and I doubt any of them are caused by a faulty PCM. The windows certainly have nothing to do with a PCM.
An alternator being replaced 2 years ago means absolutely nothing today. As I already advised, you need to get the codes read first and post the NUMBERS here. If you have an alternator failing, replace it.
Saturday, March 14th, 2015 AT 10:32 AM