Check engine light is on, intermittent battery light on also

CHEVYGIRL81
  • 2003 FORD WINDSTAR
The check engine light is on, and the battery light comes on sometimes. Been diagnosed with alternator going out but it was replaced a couple of years ago. Also has rough idle lately, and able to cruise at forty mph without touching the gas pedal. After high idle there is a burning smell. I can also feel transmission slipping just slightly from time to time. And power windows act up, sometimes one window will stop working and another window that did not work will start working. Could a PCM be causing all these problems? Should I try resetting it?
Saturday, March 14th, 2015 AT 7:31 AM

WRENCHTECH
The answer is no and no.

You have an assortment of issues that you have done nothing to resolve. Start repairing the known problems first. You know you have a bad alternator. You have a check engine light that you need to have the codes read. The windows will be another separate problem.
Saturday, March 14th, 2015 AT 8:00 AM
CHEVYGIRL81
I have been fixing issues with this van believe it or not it had more wrong with it. It is just that I read a reply to another question from another mechanic that idle issue can be a PCM and drain the alternator. So I looked up some research on PCM and found it also can effect windows. If you read my post you would see the alternator was replaced a couple of years ago already. I do not want to replace it again if that is not truly the issue.

Can you please explain what else could be causing the idle issue than if you are saying no it is not the PCM
-1
Saturday, March 14th, 2015 AT 9:48 AM
CHEVYGIRL81
Also, I have had the codes read four times and keep getting told a vague answer about the catalytic converter and that it is just probably bad gas. I have tried switching gas up and gas stations but still have the light. I am not just driving my vehicle without maintaining it. I am trying to fix it
Saturday, March 14th, 2015 AT 9:52 AM
WRENCHTECH
I still feel the best way to go on this is to have the codes read.

I am sending you a link that if you decide to conduct the scan yourself will be a great help to you. The link features an article with written step by step instructions and pictures explaining how to do the scan yourself. Also, I have included a link to our YouTube channel with a how to video on code scanning.

This is applicable even if your check engine light is not on.

Most scanners are inexpensive to purchase, you can purchase one online from sites like Amazon.com

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

https://youtu.be/YV3TRZwer8k

Once you have the code number(s) please come back to this thread.
Saturday, March 14th, 2015 AT 10:32 AM