2001 Ford Windstar ABS RECALL

• 1 POST

Brakes problem
2001 Ford Windstar 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

Had the front and rear breaks replaced by local mechanic in July 2009. After brake service, brakes locked up every time brakes were pressed hard. (Note-this happened once a year or more earlier, but only once.) Took back to mechanic and he replaced ABS module twice. (He said the first one he installed was defective.) He finally told me the brakes worked fine, but ABS and brake lights were now on, and he could not get the lights to go off. Took car to Ford dealer, and they said the ABS module needed to be replaced again for around $2300. Did not do this since I had spent hundreds on the previous work and didn't feel the vehicle was worth what this work would cost. Have driven the car ever since. Brakes worked fine until recently. The brakes seem to stop the car alright, but it does not stop smoothly any more. There is a surging feeling when I come to a stop. Feels like I need new brake pads again. Could any of this be related to the ABS brake recall on 2001 Ford Windstars? Thanks

Thursday, April 1st, 2010 AT 4:32 PM

I don't see any recall for abs according to Mitchell one software, not to say they may have overlooked it.

Since I can't feel the braking charactoristics I need a little better description of the symptom. Would you say it is a pulsing in the brake pedal you are feeling? If so, it sounds like a brake rotor is warping.

IF the abs light is on the abs is not working.

Sunday, April 4th, 2010 AT 12:40 PM