2006 Ford Taurus Hard starting

USMCECHO7RET
  • 2006 FORD TAURUS
I have to crank the starter three to four times, turning off the key in between each try. The engine will then start usually on the fourth try but sometimes sooner. It seems like after the engine is warmed up it starts on the firs try but not always.I replaced the fuel filter just in case it might be something simple like that, but it made no difference.
Monday, August 30th, 2010 AT 11:11 AM

I need you to check fuel pressure drop off and fuel pressure regulator.

Here are the directions. You will need a gauge, but most parts stores will lend or rent one to you.

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm

Pay attention to fuel pressure drop off. When you shut the key, it should maintain pressure for a period of about 5 to 10 minutes.

Let me know what you find.
Wednesday, September 1st, 2010 AT 10:17 PM
USMCECHO7RET
I had to use a bypass hose at the filter so after attaching the hose and gage, turned on the key and the pressure only went up to about 10 psi. I shut off the key and recycled the pump and this time it went up to about 15 psi. The third time I cycled the pump it shot up to 60 psi and slowly cabe back down to about 48 psi. I thought it might be a problem with air in th eline from attaching the hose so I bled off the air (my gage set has a valve and bleed off hose) but when I tried it again I got the same results. I started the engine and watched the gage. The engine ran fine but the pressure slowly went down to about 56 psi before leveling off. After running the car, I shut it off and bled off the pressure manually. Turned on the key several times right after running and the pressure went directly up to 60 psi. Looks like I need a fuel pump?
Tuesday, September 7th, 2010 AT 12:01 PM
That is what it sounds like. Did you check the regulator when you ran the vehicle?
Wednesday, September 8th, 2010 AT 6:26 AM