1998 Ford Taurus 1998 Ford Taurus won't start

SHONTORI
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS

1998 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

i have a 1998 ford taurus, it won't start, or turn over there is a clicking noise whenever I try to fully turn the key in the ignition.

Tuesday, October 21st, 2008 AT 4:52 PM

Hi Shontori and welcome to 2carpros

Engine Will Not Crank / Start

The electrical system of your car has several different voltage and amperage demand systems. The engine starter circuit is designed to carry 12 volts at high current (amperage). This is why a battery cable is larger in diameter compared to other wires in the electrical system. When the ignition key is activated the starter will turn the engine over, if not we have listed below some of the most popular causes for non starter operation.

Troubleshooting Procedure

A. Test Electrical System Voltage. The best way to test for electrical system voltage is use a voltage meter. Attach the voltmeter leads to the positive and negative terminals of the battery. To check a battery surface voltage remove the positive terminal protective cover. Connect the +positive side meter lead (red) to the positive side battery terminal. Connect the - negative (black) side meter lead to the negative battery terminal. With the vehicle not running and the car sitting over night the battery voltage should be between 12.4 and 12.6 volts. To test the system without a volt meter activate the headlights, if they illuminate brightly the electrical system probably has sufficient voltage. If the headlights are dim or not working the battery charge is low or the battery has failed and needs replacing.

Checking Battery Voltage

B. Check Battery Cable Terminals: The starter circuit of your car is a basic electrical circuit and is subject to corrosion and its effects. The first sign that corrosion is effecting the start is when you activate the ignition key to the start position the whole electrical system of the car shuts down. Once the connection has cooled the circuit will reconnect and car electrical will return. Inspect the battery terminals for corrosion but use caution. These deposits are corrosive, and are by-products of a normal battery charge and discharge function. While wearing protective goggles and clothing, use a garden hose to rinse the battery and surrounding area completely. This will dilute the acid to a non-corrosive state. You can also sprinkle baking soda to help neutralize the battery acid. Use a wire brush on the battery terminals to clean thoroughly and reassemble, recheck charging system as needed. If the corrosion is excessive the battery cables will need to be replaced, battery acid migrates down the cable strands and deteriorates the cable internally.

C. Starter Voltage/Amperage Draw Test. Turn the headlights on and observe, then activate the ignition key to crank the engine over. If the headlights stay bright the electrical circuit is not connected, therefore no voltage drop. A popular reason for this is the winding inside the starter has shorted or the starter armature brushes have worn out and replacement is recommended. If headlights dim way down it means your battery is weak and needs either replacement or recharge. As a rule of thumb, a typical car battery will last three to four years before replacement is needed.

D. Check Neutral Safety Switch/Clutch Safety Switch. A neutral or clutch safety switch is used to disengage the electrical circuit from the ignition key to the starter motor as a safety device. Automatic transmission vehicle gear selector needs to be either in park or neutral before the engine will crank. If the gear selector is in any other gear sections the engine will not crank over. A standard transmission vehicle clutch peddle needs to be fully depressed before the engine will crank over. To test this circuit a automotive test light is needed. Attach one end of the test light to engine ground and the other end at the starter trigger terminal of the starter solenoid. The test light should illuminate when the ignition switch is activated (crank engine over). If the test light illuminates the starter motor/solenoid has failed and needs to be replaced. If the test light does not illuminate suspect a neutral safety switch or clutch safety switch. A wiring diagram is needed to trace power from the ignition switch through the safety switch and down to the starter solenoid. Replace failed components as needed and recheck system.

Starter Solenoid (appearance may vary)

E. Testing Anti Theft Device. Some cars have a anti theft system that will not allow the starter to operate. If this system malfunctions the car will not crank over even after the alarm has been disabled. To test this system observe the "security" light on the dash or instrument cluster. If this light flashes while the key is being activated the security system is in failsafe mode. If you have a aftermarket alarm system in your car and you think it may be suspect locate the main system interrupted relay and bypass main control circuit. If car cranks over the alarm system has failed and replacement is needed.

F. Check for Internal Engine Damage. If your engine has had a major malfunction it will not turn over. To check for this condition install a socket wrench on the front crankshaft bolt, then try to rotate. The engine will turn with a certain degree of difficulty but it should rotate a full 360 degrees. If the engine doesn't turn disassembly is required, repair as needed and reassemble.

Thanks for the donation

-1
Tuesday, October 21st, 2008 AT 5:25 PM
AUSTIN CHILDRESS

It's the battery saving relay, under the wheel and dash in the Fuze box

-1
Monday, February 13th, 2017 AT 1:44 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey AUSTIN,

Thanks for the input! Please use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help and tell a friend.

Best, Ken

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 2:41 PM
ANDYSHELLEY
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS
  • MERGED

1998 Ford Taurus 4 cyl

when I turn the key on the car wont start and when I turn the ignition off the power wont turn off

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 2:51 PM
MERLIN2021
  • MERGED

Is the engine cranking? For both key in start position and key off?

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 2:51 PM
ANDYSHELLEY
  • MERGED

When I turn the key nothing happens at all

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 2:51 PM
ANDYSHELLEY
  • MERGED

When I turn the key nothing happens at all[/quote:e25f5ad659]

in order to turn the power off I have to reach under the dash and push the ignition electrical switch back

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 2:51 PM
MERLIN2021
  • MERGED

Start by removing the switch, somethings broken there. Rod bent plastic switch broke. Only two small 5/16th screws hold it on. Remove the negative battery cable before doing this, we don't know what might fall apart, and you don't want to scramble if the cable needs to be disconnected!

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 2:51 PM
ANDYSHELLEY
  • MERGED

I repalced the part and it still does the same thing it goes forward but does not retracked and it still does not start

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 2:51 PM
MERLIN2021
  • MERGED

Did you get the switch and control rod in the right way? Screws tight? Something isnt right if it does not return.
IGNITION SWITCH Removal Disconnect negative battery cable. Remove upper and lower steering column covers. Disconnect ignition switch connector. Turn ignition switch to RUN position. Remove retaining screws and ignition switch. Installation Set ignition switch to RUN position by turning ignition switch shaft to START position, then releasing shaft. Install ignition switch. It may be necessary to move ignition switch back and forth to align switch mounting holes with lock cylinder housing holes. Install and tighten switch retaining screws. To complete installation, reverse removal procedure.

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 2:51 PM
SPOONK
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS
  • MERGED

Was driving on the free way, four hours into the trip the car shut off as if the key had been turned off. No sputtering, lack of power. Just off. Will turn over, but will not start. Fuel Tank is 3/4ths full. I can hear the pump when I turn the ignition on.

+1
Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 2:51 PM
  • MERGED

Go to this walk thru link:http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 2:51 PM
MIKEDEROUIN88
  • MERGED

Need to do a compression check u might have a broken timing belt

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 2:51 PM
BAALSKIN
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS
  • MERGED

1998 Ford Taurus V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 158797 miles

Dear 2carpros. Com:

This morning, my friend's car wouldn't start. He had his starter fixex a few months ago. When he tries to start the car, it won't even turn on or start AT ALL. The lights inside and outside the car still turn on when he turns the ignition (the radio works, too), but the ignition won't start at all; in fact, there is absolutely NO NOISE of the engine turning over or starting when he tries to start the car. I think it's the alternator. Please tell me what could be wrong with my friend's car. Luckily, my friend has a bike for emergencies. Thanks for your prompt response.

Baalskin

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 2:51 PM
BMRFIXIT
  • MERGED

Try and get a jump and if it start then you need to have the battery and charging system including the alternator checked
if still no start with the jump ON
try and move the shifter to N and try
if still no start no noise suspect starter and or wiring
check fuses and check the small S wire at the starter solenoid
good luck let me know

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 2:51 PM
COLOREZ123
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS
  • MERGED

1998 Ford Taurus Automatic

CAR WONT START, WON'T ACCEPT A JUMP, BATTERY IS GIVING POWER TO WINDOWS AND RADIO

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 2:51 PM
BMRFIXIT
  • MERGED

Try to start in neutral
check and suspect starter
check fuses

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 2:51 PM
OLDCAR:-(
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS
  • MERGED

1998 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 275000 miles

I have had some problems with this car before as I am only 17 it is my first so its not exactly top of the line. Recently I have replaced the alternator and battery because both were old and faulty, my current problem is that sometimes it will not start or turn over at all. This only happens after I have been on highway for roughly 40 mins and if I only go for a short drive of about 15 mins there is no problem. Other factors that may relate to this problem are that when accelerating from 3rd to 4th it sometimes will not shift unless I take my foot off gas completely, does not idle well and if let idle for a period of time the check engine light starts to blink, check engine light is always on but I believe this to be because of broken O2 sensors. Please help because I cannot afford a new car for a while and must have one as I live out of town.

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 2:52 PM
  • MERGED

Scan the computer for code/s -you have a problem within the engine management system this is your starting point finding out what's going on.

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 2:52 PM
KKAR5
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS
  • MERGED

1998 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 148000 miles

Randomly the car will not start. This can be after driving and stopping, or the first start of the day. There is no pattern but the car does not stall. Once started it always runs. When this no-start occurs, there is no electric at all. Nothing. Removing and replacing the battery terminals generally corrects the problem. Sometimes after removing and replacing the terminals, the lights come on but when I hit the starter it all goes dead again. When I try later it starts. The battery is new and the terminals are clean. I also removed, cleaned and replaced the smaller black wires attached to the negative terminal but that did not help. The car has been consistently maintained since it was new. The alternator is a Bosch replaced about a year ago. The cooling system has been renewed.

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 2:52 PM