Engine won't start

SHONTORI
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS

Engine Mechanical problem 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic it won't start, or turn over there is a clicking noise whenever I try to fully turn the key in the ignition.

Tuesday, October 21st, 2008 AT 4:52 PM

AUSTIN CHILDRESS

It's the battery saving relay, under the wheel and dash in the Fuze box

Monday, February 13th, 2017 AT 1:44 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey AUSTIN,

Thanks for the input! Please use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help and tell a friend.

Best, Ken

+1
Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 2:41 PM
ANDYSHELLEY
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS

1998 Ford Taurus 4 cyl

when I turn the key on the car wont start and when I turn the ignition off the power wont turn off

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 2:51 PM (Merged)
MERLIN2021

Is the engine cranking? For both key in start position and key off?

ANDYSHELLEY

When I turn the key nothing happens at all

ANDYSHELLEY

When I turn the key nothing happens at all[/quote:e25f5ad659]

in order to turn the power off I have to reach under the dash and push the ignition electrical switch back

MERLIN2021

Start by removing the switch, somethings broken there. Rod bent plastic switch broke. Only two small 5/16th screws hold it on. Remove the negative battery cable before doing this, we don't know what might fall apart, and you don't want to scramble if the cable needs to be disconnected!

ANDYSHELLEY

I repalced the part and it still does the same thing it goes forward but does not retracked and it still does not start

MERLIN2021

Did you get the switch and control rod in the right way? Screws tight? Something isnt right if it does not return.
IGNITION SWITCH Removal Disconnect negative battery cable. Remove upper and lower steering column covers. Disconnect ignition switch connector. Turn ignition switch to RUN position. Remove retaining screws and ignition switch. Installation Set ignition switch to RUN position by turning ignition switch shaft to START position, then releasing shaft. Install ignition switch. It may be necessary to move ignition switch back and forth to align switch mounting holes with lock cylinder housing holes. Install and tighten switch retaining screws. To complete installation, reverse removal procedure.

SPOONK
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS

Was driving on the free way, four hours into the trip the car shut off as if the key had been turned off. No sputtering, lack of power. Just off. Will turn over, but will not start. Fuel Tank is 3/4ths full. I can hear the pump when I turn the ignition on.

+1

Go to this walk thru link:http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

MIKEDEROUIN88

Need to do a compression check u might have a broken timing belt

BAALSKIN
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS

1998 Ford Taurus V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 158797 miles

Dear 2carpros. Com:

This morning, my friend's car wouldn't start. He had his starter fixex a few months ago. When he tries to start the car, it won't even turn on or start AT ALL. The lights inside and outside the car still turn on when he turns the ignition (the radio works, too), but the ignition won't start at all; in fact, there is absolutely NO NOISE of the engine turning over or starting when he tries to start the car. I think it's the alternator. Please tell me what could be wrong with my friend's car. Luckily, my friend has a bike for emergencies. Thanks for your prompt response.

Baalskin

BMRFIXIT

Try and get a jump and if it start then you need to have the battery and charging system including the alternator checked
if still no start with the jump ON
try and move the shifter to N and try
if still no start no noise suspect starter and or wiring
check fuses and check the small S wire at the starter solenoid
good luck let me know

COLOREZ123
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS

1998 Ford Taurus Automatic

CAR WONT START, WON'T ACCEPT A JUMP, BATTERY IS GIVING POWER TO WINDOWS AND RADIO

BMRFIXIT

Try to start in neutral
check and suspect starter
check fuses

OLDCAR:-(
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS

1998 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 275000 miles

I have had some problems with this car before as I am only 17 it is my first so its not exactly top of the line. Recently I have replaced the alternator and battery because both were old and faulty, my current problem is that sometimes it will not start or turn over at all. This only happens after I have been on highway for roughly 40 mins and if I only go for a short drive of about 15 mins there is no problem. Other factors that may relate to this problem are that when accelerating from 3rd to 4th it sometimes will not shift unless I take my foot off gas completely, does not idle well and if let idle for a period of time the check engine light starts to blink, check engine light is always on but I believe this to be because of broken O2 sensors. Please help because I cannot afford a new car for a while and must have one as I live out of town.

Friday, February 17th, 2017 AT 2:52 PM (Merged)

Scan the computer for code/s -you have a problem within the engine management system this is your starting point finding out what's going on.

KKAR5
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS

1998 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 148000 miles

Randomly the car will not start. This can be after driving and stopping, or the first start of the day. There is no pattern but the car does not stall. Once started it always runs. When this no-start occurs, there is no electric at all. Nothing. Removing and replacing the battery terminals generally corrects the problem. Sometimes after removing and replacing the terminals, the lights come on but when I hit the starter it all goes dead again. When I try later it starts. The battery is new and the terminals are clean. I also removed, cleaned and replaced the smaller black wires attached to the negative terminal but that did not help. The car has been consistently maintained since it was new. The alternator is a Bosch replaced about a year ago. The cooling system has been renewed.

If the battery terminals are clean and you get no power, there must be a break down in the terminal wiring or the ground on the engine block is loose or corroded. Have you checked it?