2006 Ford Taurus

TEACHERPHED
  • 2006 FORD TAURUS
  • AWD
I got a front break job about 2 months ago with new rotors. Just recently my breaks started to screech when I first use the car in the morning. I go and apply the brakes ang it makes a load ear piercing screech. After I press the brakes about 4 time it goes away and never comes back until the car sits for a few hours and I first use it again. I brought it to the mechanic again and they told me that the original brake pads were faulty, they put ceramic pads and it is still happening. What could the problem be?
Sunday, June 29th, 2008 AT 11:37 AM

BLACKOP555
Try sanding down the rotors just enough to rough them up and remove the glaze.

Could be due to moisture also causing the brakes to grab and squeel.
Sunday, June 29th, 2008 AT 1:04 PM
TEACHERPHED
How should I approach the mechanic with your advice. Shouldn't he know what the problem is this would be the second time that I am bringing this problem to him? Why would it stop screeching after 30 seconds of using the brakes when I first use the car/
Sunday, June 29th, 2008 AT 5:01 PM
BLACKOP555
I have the same problem wiht a few tarus's ive owned, and sanding them down always works temporarly.

It usually gets bad when its humid and warm out.

Let the new pads break in and see if it stops.
Sunday, June 29th, 2008 AT 7:09 PM
TEACHERPHED
Then why did this problem happen with brakes that were two months old. Then again when he put new pads on. It did not matter if they were new or nor the sound is embarrasing
Monday, June 30th, 2008 AT 6:38 AM
BLACKOP555
Ok, well if its that important!

Do the brakes grab abnormally fast when the squeeling occurs?

You may need new antirattle shims on the pads to keep them from rattling and thus screaming.
Also clean the calipers and brake assembly up good and apply some grease on all the movement points to prevent them from hopefully squeeling.
Monday, June 30th, 2008 AT 7:23 AM
TEACHERPHED
Yes the brakes grap abnormally fast and screech. It also happens when I am in reverse, but only when the car sits for a few hours why does this happen only when the car is cold
Monday, June 30th, 2008 AT 7:39 AM
BLACKOP555
That is probably because the brakes are cold and loose, when the metal warms up it expands and the slack is taken up causing normal brake action and no screaching.
Monday, June 30th, 2008 AT 9:35 PM