2005 Ford Taurus SE - Rough start for about 10 seconds

TERSTER
  • 2005 FORD TAURUS
Hi,

We just bought a 2005 Taurus SE. V6, 3.0L and I believe it to be a 2 valve engine per my Ford dealer.

We bought it about 120 miles from home and it drove perfectly.

The next morning when I went to start the car, it turned over and started right away. However, once it started, for the first 7 - 10 seconds, the engine sounded like it might quit and i'd have to restart. It was very rough. After about 10 seconds, something kicked in and the idle went up and it was fine.

I didn't think much of it.

5 hours later when we went to run an errand, it started just fine.

The next morning (2nd day of ownership) I went out and started the car and the same exact thing happened. Car started almost immediately, for about 10 seconds it sounded like it was going to quit, then something kicked in and we were good.

Later in the day we went out to start again and it was fine.

The next day, 3rd morning after purchase, once agian, the same thing.

So it seems that only after the car has sat over night, when you first start the car, there is little power. The engine sounds rough and it feels like it might quit at any moment. 10 seconds after started, it runs perfectly and remains that way even after you stop and restart later in the day.

I was thinking maybe a bad tank of gas (we don't know how long it was sitting at the dealer). We ran the gas down to under a quarter tank and then filled up with brand new 89 Octane Mobile gas.

That was done only today, so I don't know if that will have any affect or not.

The car is not blowing smoke, there are no "noises" that we can hear, nothing seems out of the ordinary.

I asked my local Ford dealer if maybe it could be a bad tank of gas and plugs and they said unlikely. Gas maybe but the plugs are good for 100,000 miles. If one was cracked, the issue would remain, not go away after 10 seconds.

They said that maybe the "power control module" could use a software upgrade but didn't know without actually seeing the car.

The only advise was to hook up a reader and see if there are any "codes". Then they told me it would cost about $100 for that diagnostic service.

I found this forum and thought i'd ask my question here.

I've seen similiar postings however they were for 1997 and 1998 Taurus' and not something as new as a 2005.

I doubt that it matters but we live in southern wisconsin. The nights have been about 60 and the days have been around 75 degrees. We had one rainy night and 2 dry nights.

Weather so far, does not seem to be a factor.

Any advise would sure be appreciated.

Thanks!
Wednesday, July 15th, 2009 AT 1:52 PM

MHPAUTOS
HI there,

Thank you for he donation,

Try this simple test and report the results.

When you do the cold morning start, turn on the ignition and do not crank for 5 sec. Turn of and do the same thing, then try a normal start.

Thursday, July 16th, 2009 AT 4:58 AM
TERSTER
Hi.

We tried what you said and turned the key for 5 seconds, then back, then turned and started car.

Started perfectly.

We do have the new gas in the car, and since i'm not sure if that's a factor or not. Tomrrow I will try again.

Tomorrow I will try to start the car normally. If the original condition continues, then we know that priming the car by turning the key 1/2 way for 5 seconds is a partial fix.

But, what does that mean? Fuel pump? Please say no. We just paid more than what the car is probably worth and it pretty much tapped the budget. :)

Thanks again for your help. I'll post again tomorrow when I know if turning the key full, the first time, recreates the original issue or not.

If you would rather I NOT do that and have another troubleshooting step you'd like me to try, that is fine too.

Once again, thanks for the follow up.
Thursday, July 16th, 2009 AT 7:26 PM
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

That test is for fuel retention, I feel that the fuel is draining back into the tank over a period of time, what your are doing is re pressurizing the fuel rail before you start, what I feel was happening was that the car was starved of enough fuel till the pump picked up pressure again, this can be leaking valves in the fuel tank and possibly a faulty pressure regulator valve.

Thursday, July 16th, 2009 AT 8:56 PM