2004 Ford Taurus Engine jerks

MSMOONBEAM
  • 2004 FORD TAURUS
Bought car brand new in 2004 - never a problem. Drives fine, then I drove 20 miles 2 days ago, on freeway- engine does a jerk feeling. Almost like the car is slipping on ice. Then drives fine for another 20 miles, does it again. Then miles later, does it again. Starts out slight, then get harder jerk feeling, only last about 3 seconds. No change in performance, no noise. Yesterday, took it for oil change, & replace fuel filter & a fuel system clean. Drove fine. Today after driving more than 50 miles, engine on freeway - does a jerk again. Just one time. Not while trying to acelerate. Doesnt feel like transmission slipping, no dragging - just a jerk feel - like the car is slipping on ice for a few seconds. But its not ice. Could it be a sensor going bad? Check engine light does not come on or any system messages display.
Monday, December 21st, 2009 AT 9:28 PM

This is a tough one without the check engine light. It sounds like an engine miss, but because it is so temporary, the computer isn't picking up on it. Have you ever had the engine tuned up with plugs, wires?

Let me know.

Monday, December 21st, 2009 AT 10:40 PM
MSMOONBEAM
OK - 2 days ago, got a tune up at a lic. Facility - Platinum plugs and wires, - their computer dia - showed nothing - then the car jerked 4 times on the way home. At around 38-40 mph the rpm doesnt spike, just dips slightly or not at all. A transmission place stated this is a common issue with a 04 Ford taurus and recommends a complete re-build to fix seals - cost of $2,200. Then drove it yesterday over 100 miles - didnt jerk. Any further ideas? Thanks
Friday, January 1st, 2010 AT 5:07 PM
Ford does have a rep for o-rings and seals in the transmissions getting hard and causing shifting problems. However, before I would pay them that kind of money, there are a lot of products that are designed for this type of problem. I'm not to provide product names because we don't want people to think we work for specific companies. However, if you stop at the local parts store and ask them for a product designed to soften seals and o-rings in a transmission, they will have what you need. I think I had a man once use a product manufacturered by a company called BG and he was very happy with the outcome, but I can say anything about that.

Try that and see if it helps. It should be under 10.00 rather than 2200.

Let me know what you find.
Friday, January 1st, 2010 AT 11:14 PM