2002 Ford Taurus Check Engine Light/No AC

HUGHTRAIN
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
My 2002 Ford Taurus does not have AC any longer. I noticed about two months ago that the Check engine light would come on and stay for a couple of days, then would disappear for several days. When the light would come on, my AC would quit blowing cooled air. It then became an instance of if I started the car and the air was off the light would not come on, Now the light is on constantly minus the time I had to change the battery out because the other one died twice. (Hmm. This might be a clue as well). When I changed the battery I did it in the auto parts stores parking lot, we checked the codes on the check engine light before changing the battery and no codes reported. After changing the battery the AC worked the whole way home! Only the next day, the Check engine light came back on, and no AC. It has been like this now for three weeks. It has been over 100 degrees each day for five straight days. I need help!

Other than spending money on trying to find out what the problem is, money I don't have right now, I need to make sure that I am not killing the car.
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 8:13 PM

BMRFIXIT
When the light on go back to the part store ask them to get the codes for you
let me know what you have for codes
good luck
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 8:50 PM
HUGHTRAIN
The light was on last time, only the guy didn't start the engine. This time we started the engine and voila, P1633.

The definition on the slip says
"Keep Alive Memory (KAM) voltage too low.

Explanation
ECM detected the KAM power circuit to the battery was interrupted.

Probable Cause
Battery Disconnect occurred
Open or Short Circuit condition

After a Google search, most results showed that a fuse was blown as well with this issue, I checked the Fuse (#22 A/C relay) and it was fine. I also looked at the A/C Clutch but can't tell if it was turning or not?
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 11:14 PM
BMRFIXIT
Diagnostic Aids
This test is used to diagnose the following:
Battery Terminal Condition
Keep Alive Power (KAPWR) Circuit Routing
KAPWR Circuit Condition
Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
Testing.

NOTE:KAPWR is interrupted when PCM or battery is disconnected. DTC P0603, P1605 or P1633 may be generated during next PCM power-up.

1) DTC P0603, P1605 & P1633:
2) Check Battery Terminals
Inspect battery terminals for corrosion or loose connection. Service as necessary. If battery terminals are okay, go to next step.
2) Check Engine Compartment For Proper Wire Routing

Inspect wiring harness and connectors for damage or corrosion. Ensure wiring harness is properly routed and not too close to ignition or exhaust components. Service as necessary. If no concerns are found, go to next step.
3) Check Keep Alive Power Circuit To PCM

Turn ignition switch to OFF position. Disconnect PCM connector(s). Inspect connector for loose, damaged or corroded terminals. Repair as necessary. Using a DVOM, measure voltage between chassis ground and KAPWR circuit at PCM harness connector terminal No. 55 (104-pin PCM), or terminal No. A44 (150-pin PCM). While observing DVOM, wiggle and bend small sections of wiring harness between PCM and dash panel. If voltage is continuously 10.5 volts or more, go to next step. If at anytime voltage drops to less than 10.5 volts, isolate open in KAPWR circuit and repair as necessary.
4) Check For Repeat Of DTC P0603, P1605 Or P1633

Reconnect PCM connector(s). Start engine and allow to idle and reach normal operating temperature. Perform KOEO ON-DEMAND SELF-TEST. Retrieve Continuous Memory DTCs. If DTC P0603, P1605 or P1633 is present, replace PCM. If any other DTCs are present, service as necessary. See DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE DEFINITIONS. If no DTCs are present, testing is complete. DTC P0603, P1605 or P1633 may have been due to a previous repair.
Good luck
Thursday, June 25th, 2009 AT 8:41 PM