1996 Ford Taurus Service Engine Light On- Cant Pass GA Emis

JHON2524
  • 1996 FORD TAURUS
I have my Service Engine Light on and cant pass GA Emissions to get my tags.I have spent about $700 already to replace the PCV valve, Oxygen Sensor, DPFE Sensor/Solenoid (Egr contrl), decarbed tube ports, replaced air filter.

We reset the computer and the light is off for a day or so, then comes back on.

How can I solve this problem? I feel like I have been given the run around by the shop I went to, plus Im out $700 and now I cant drive my car because I cant get tags for it.

Please Help!
Monday, July 20th, 2009 AT 6:52 AM

JGAROFALO
The "service engine" light comes on because there is a fault in the system. You need to get the code or codes from it to begin diagnostics. Many parts stores will read the codes for you at no cost. You can post back with your codes, and I can advise you from there.
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009 AT 4:19 PM
JHON2524
I took it to Autozone and the code was the EGR valve. We replaced (cost me another $55) that and reset the system. The next day after driving a few miles the light came back on.

I dont know what to do next.

Anyone know of a good Ford mechanic in North Atlanta?
Saturday, July 25th, 2009 AT 10:03 AM
JGAROFALO
Check the function of the EGR valve by applying vacuum to the port while the engine is idling. The idle should slow down or stall. If not, your EGR passages are plugged, and you need to clean them out.
Sunday, July 26th, 2009 AT 7:38 AM