Power windows not working

MCMURRAYSC
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
I just purchased a 2002 Ford Taurus SES at an auto auction. After purchase I realized that I could not get the drivers window to go up. None of the windows seem able to go up or down. There seems to be no other electrical problems. Radio, interior lights, rear defrost, etc. All seem to work fine. I have a manual and checked it for location of a fuse for the windows but it does not provide a location. Searching the web has turned up nothing except similar results where others have not been able to locate a fuse for the windows. I can hear a relay engage if I press the auto down on the drivers window switch but that is all. I already tried the master switch and checked fuses but nothing seems to work.

Did you ever find a solution for your problem?Any help appreciated.
Saturday, March 15th, 2008 AT 11:19 PM

KEN
There is a one touch window relay and an accessory relay that needs to be checked and the fuses as well (10, 11 and 26). I would start by checking the fuse and if its okay try the relay. Here are a couple of guides and window wiring diagrams (below) to help you see how the system works.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Please let us know what happens so it will help others.
+1
Thursday, September 7th, 2017 AT 12:01 PM
TOMK1961
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
Thanks for the post I had an accessory relay stop working got a new one for $34.00 all fixed. I love this site.
+2
Thursday, September 7th, 2017 AT 12:01 PM (Merged)
BEAU SCOTT
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
I have taken this car to two mechanics, no luck window will work from in side penal. Got new shtick from ford not working. I did notice window lock is nosy working could there be somthing wrong with the lock affecting the windows? Other three windows work fine. Iam a senior and wok for the brigantine elks thank you for understanding
Tuesday, October 1st, 2019 AT 3:30 PM (Merged)
Normally locks which i'm assuming is door lock doesn'teffect window operation unless broken and in channel which is highly unlikely. If the window works form inside panel then what is problem? Or are you talking about door locks working from inside and not outside? Change battery in key fob first it may be low causing your problem.
BEAU SCOTT
I don, t think I explaned myself very well. Mechanic had window working from inside of door, switch is new from ford when I plugged just the window harness the window would not work when I plugged the window lock harries in the other three windows worked, so theese two must work together could the window lock relay have something to do with it? The mechanic said it was the computer and would cost about 800.00 so we now the motor is good but from the motor to the switch seems to be the problem help
It may be your gem module screwing up but wouldneed scanning to see if it is or not.
FLUTINMAMA
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
Yesterday I opened all my windows before turning off my car. When I got back in and tried to close them none of them would go up. There was a clicking noise when I tried to put the driver's window up, but no noise with any of the others. Suggestions?

Oh yeah, my cruise control quit working last week, too. Just after I had the air compressor fixed.
BMRFIXIT
Check fuses
check wiring harness in driver door jam
+1
BADWUFF
Did you try running the windows up from each door? If they go up then you have a problem at the drivers door switch. Try removing it and checking all the connections. If you have a test light you can see it its getting current.
KOOLAUTOS
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS
None of the windows work how do I bypass the one touch reay and g e m by splicing the wires together do I leave the brown wire cut looose from the swich and the red wire cut from the seich to and splice the 2 together only to bypass the computer
ASEMASTER6371
Why dont you just replace the gem module?

KOOLAUTOS
Cost to much to do that I seem n guy on here say you could by passs the g e m my running a hot wire with a 30 amp circuir breaker to the light blue and black wire the light blue and black wire goes to the window locks and to bypass the one touch relay you wire the brown wire n the window switch beside the white wire to the red wire going to the window motor on the drivers side alot cheaper than a g e m module also if you have a flex fuel car and your gas guage is stuck on full it could be the flexfuel module that tells the car how much ethinol is in your gas its located behind the radio ther only about 20 dollars at a junk yard or 40 to 60 dollars at the dealership thses window fixes are alot cheaper and faster check your motors in the doors frst before you try these fixes you can jump the motors off with aouple wires and a battery charger after taking the wire connector off of the window motor reverse polarity to put your window up or down if youe window is down and you just want it up ti you get it fixed hey im steve at koolautos ford mech for 20 years chevrolet dealership for 10 workng on race cars t 7 years old ol number 32 was my uncles car rip uncle jr we niss ou jimmy means is my step brther in law I worked on the 52 car when it was the alkaseltzer car in nascar
LEON BOLLINGER
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
2001 ford - Remote mirrors quit also and the dome light quit could it be a relay and if so which one. Before all this come about the battery would show drain when nothing was on and the trunk light bulb burned out and now I have this problem would appreciate in help.
+1
If the trunk bulb burned out, (which is not the same as "stopped working"), that is not related to the windows and mirrors. First check the fuses. If you find one blown, start by looking for broken or frayed wires between the driver's door hinges.
-1
FFISHBALL55
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
I want to take a look inside the panel of the driver's side window. The driver's power window is not working. I already got the srews out, and I might break something if I pry it off. Any suggestion on the power window? All the other three windows are working.
Chances are the motor has gone bad. If you have all of the screws out, there are clips between the panel and the door. They will need pried apart. If you are concerned, stop at a body shop and they will show you how to remove it.
BRANDNEWLIFE
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
I have an '02 Taurus, 174,000km. The drivers side power window bank works all the windows except the passenger side front; it hesitates or won't go up at all. Down is no problem. I'm finding I have to press the switch really hard to get the window to move. The switch on the passenger side has no problems at all. Could it be a loose wire inside? How do I gain access to have a look at it?
Tuesday, October 1st, 2019 AT 3:31 PM (Merged)
PBJ44
Hi Justanold!

Those directions are exactly what I need! Could you please PM them to me? Thanks in advance!
KJOJO5
I need a fix to this as well! Could you please forward that email to me as well? Only. The drivers window goes down and wont go back up. And there is no response from any of the other windows, so I just need to find out how to get the module out, thank you very much! Kjojo5@hotmail. Com
JADIVALL
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
The windows will not go up or down. One is stuck down they won't move at all and it makes no noise when you push the buttons

Sponsored links