Heater not working

DESHAZERT
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

The heater throws look warm air at an idle. At higher speeds it gets a little warmer. If I put a thermometer in the radiator, the temp reads 140-150 and obviously the thermostat doesn't open. What would keep the water from heating up. I have never had an UNDER heating problem

Thursday, December 17th, 2009 AT 7:35 PM

BMRFIXIT

Check heater core hoses if both are hot ,
If both hoses hot and not enough heat inside suspect blend door actuator
If one hose hot and the other warm or cold the heater core need to be flushed (very common)

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-heater-not-working

as a 1st step
these are the steps
WARNING: NEVER REMOVE THE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP UNDER ANY CONDITIONS WHILE THE ENGINE IS OPERATING. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS COULD RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE COOLING SYSTEM OR ENGINE AND/OR PERSONAL INJURY. TO AVOID HAVING SCALDING HOT COOLANT OR STEAM BLOW OUT OF THE COOLING SYSTEM OR DEGAS BOTTLE, USE EXTREME CARE WHEN REMOVING THE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP FROM A HOT COOLING SYSTEM OR DEGAS BOTTLE. WAIT UNTIL THE ENGINE HAS COOLED, THEN WRAP A THICK CLOTH AROUND THE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP AND TURN IT SLOWLY UNTIL PRESSURE BEGINS TO RELEASE. STEP BACK WHILE THE PRESSURE IS RELEASED FROM THE COOLING SYSTEM. WHEN CERTAIN ALL PRESSURE HAS BEEN RELEASED, PRESS DOWN ON THE PRESSURE CAP (STILL WITH A CLOTH), TURN AND REMOVE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP.
Engine cool
lower the coolant level
Locate the two hoses running to the heater core
disconnect them at the engine side leaving hoses connected to heater core throw the firewall
make sure you pinch and close the bypass hose between the two heater hoses
use garden water hose and compressed air if possible
run the water and follow by air throw one side and out the other and vice versa
do that two to three times watching what leaving the heater core you are looking for the good flow and clear water to run throw
reconnect hoses
top off coolant system
good luck
let me know

Thursday, December 17th, 2009 AT 8:43 PM
IBDARTS

Just another thought for ya from my past troubles. When a thermostat gos's bad they are made to get stuck open. That could explain the low heat and warm water temp. Just had a friend with the same problem on a 2000 ford ranger. He replaced the thermostat and had very hot air again. Just a thought for ya, I hope it helps.

Thursday, December 17th, 2009 AT 8:52 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey,

Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out on the site whenever it can add information that will help.

Cheers, Ken

Thursday, May 4th, 2017 AT 9:08 AM
SUGARFOOT
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS

Heater problem
2001 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 72000 miles

WE HAVE REPLACED THE THERMOSAT AND THE HEATER WILL NOT GET HOT AND WHEN YOU STOP AT A STOP LIGHT THE HEATER WILL THROW OUT COLD AIR. HAD IT CHECKED OUT AT AUTO ZONE AND THEY COULD NOT FIND THE PROBLEM

Thursday, May 4th, 2017 AT 9:10 AM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT

Have to get the heater core flushed
Very common issue
Isolate and flush heater core

-2
GCHESS
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS

Heater problem
2001 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 65000 miles

Installed tee in inlet hose and flushed, repair shop flushed core, changed thermostate. No Heat. Shop wants to replace water pump, is that the right way to go? Should I try replacing cap on plastic filler jug? When it is removed it has some pressure on it.
Not Sure What To Do Next

GCHESS

Flushed heater core, still no heat. Repair shop thinks its water pump due to bulletins on my vehicle. Could they be right?

BMRFIXIT

Never heard of so called water pump bulletin on your model
did you isolate heater core and flush
because you need to do so flushing the coolant system will not help at all in the heat issue

make sure you plug the bypass hose in-between the inlet and outlet of the heater core located by the firewall
we do at least two a day now the cold weather is here

GCHESS

Yes flushed core from both sides by mechanic. He now says its the pump. Should I take it somewhere else? More than one person has told me to get the actuator door checked first. Is that something I can check?
Just tryed to donate but web site will not take.
Will try again
Sorry

BMRFIXIT

Thank you !

Yes you can check if its the blend door actuator
start and warm the car
open hood and locate the heater core hoses check them both if they hot
if both hot and dont have heat inside its the blend door or its actuator
if one hot and other cold or warm heater core need to be flushed (very important to block the bypass hose )
or you can flushed 20 X and will not effect the heater core

if engine not reaching operating temp thermostat is at fault
if its overheating and coolant not circulating through the system suspect and check water pump

DGRAY56

Have/had the same problem. It is *not* the cooling system. Because of unrelated cooling issues I have replaced the thermostat (id10t put it in backwards) upper and lower hoses, water pump (previously replaced;suspect because id10t put thermo in backwards) radiator (side can developed leak) temp sensor (for fans; clogged) flushed system completely,
and there are *no* restrictions in heater hoses or core, (know this because of multiple drains of coolant where I could see good flow, hose pressure, temp, etc.). When putting in a new car stereo, id10t knocked off orange power lead to blend door actuator *and* pulled off two of the three leads to the temp control potentiometer (cold/hot knob). Default is to keep door closed, hence cold air only. Make sure all connections to actuator and temp control are good, then check blend door actuator. These cores can plug but rarely if cooling system is well maintained. There is no coolant flow heater control valve as many manuals refer to so don't go looking for one. Also before you do any of this, check for a bad heater fuse which actually services the blend actuator module. Hope this helps.

KELLEOD
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS

Heater blowing cold air. Through the process of elimination I think I've narrowed it down to a blend door. How many are there and where is the one that controls the temperature? The other doors are working but I can't find the one that controls the temperature. The heater core was eliminated as the source because both hoses are hot, the thermostat was eliminated because the engine isn't overheating and it's running at 188 to 193 degrees. I thought the thermostat might be stuck partially open or partially closed however you want to look at it, but It gets up to temperature like normal as far as I can tell. Any help would be appreciated.

Temperature is about right for your car, so it's not overheating. The blend door is on heater unit it's on the passenger side and you'll have to remove a trim panel to access. Try pulling the hvac fuse in car first for 60 seconds it may reset. Then see if it gets power.

THUMPER1
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS

Heater problem
2001 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 119, 49 miles

The heat coming out sometimes is hot but 85% of the time it is only warm.I replaced the thermastat, flushed the heater core that was replaced last summer the head gaskets were also replaced at the same time, I also checked the heat mixer door and that seems to be working fine.

P.S. The thermastat is 195 degrees

THANK-YOU
FRANK

Thursday, May 4th, 2017 AT 9:11 AM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT

Isolate and flush heater core

make sure to block the bypass hose
check coolant

THUMPER1

I disconnected both hoses at the heater core and flushed it out with a garden hose, water flowed out perfect.

BMRFIXIT

Start and warm the engine
open hood and check heater hoses
both hot and no heat on the inside
have to check blend door and actuator
let me know

CHRISJOROS
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS

Heater problem
2001 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 177000 miles

What else could cause there to be no heat other than the heater core. I noticed that when the car has been running for a while and I turn the heat on it comes out warm, then cools off in about five seconds.

EUGENE123

Low coolant can also cause no heat check your coolant level if this is ok check your thermostat if this does not fix the problem either post back and I will help you further with this problem

MORGANJ1983
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS

I had a problem with my taurus not blowing any hot air. I flushed my heater core and it seamed to half way fix the no heat issue. Now I have heat when I am driving down the road but when I come to a red light, stop sign, or just stop and allow the car go into idle the heat stops and the air goes to cold. Does anyone have any idea what is going on. My first thought was my water pump is going bad. It seems to me that I get enough water flow to keep the car running at a normal temp but not enough water flow to keep the heater core hot and keep the car blowing hot air. Does anyone have any ideas.